Back 1/4 of hens comb is purple

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrps416, Nov 23, 2016.

1. BuffOrps416

BuffOrps416 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicken, Canela, almost always when I see her has a purple/dark colored comb on the back part. I know it's not frostbite or anything because this has been going on even when it is still warm out. I haven't really been able to get a good picture, but on the carrousel on the home page there is a "Winer Watering" section and the chicken in the picture has it too. My chicken has more than that though... What should I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That can be common in chickens with very large combs, and it probably is due to circulation. I have seen this on my roosters before, and some with leghorn hens will see it.

3. BuffOrps416

Mine is a Buff Orpington hen, so she just has a single comb.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is just toward the back of the comb, I wouldn't worry if she seems alright. If the whole comb looks dark, well that can be a heart problem or a serious illness where there is shock.

5. BuffOrps416

Thanks. The rest of her comb was a a bit darker throughout a few days ago, but like 5 min after she came out of the coop it cleared up a bit. Other than that she seems fine. I'll keep everyone posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by