Back after a long time! What the heck is a brockwell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sixlittlechicks09, Apr 12, 2012.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hi everyone!
    So I'm back after a long time gone and am getting three new chicks to join my now (holy cow how did it get so high) 21 hens.

A young woman I know got six chicks from her boyfriend for easter. The problem? They live in a one bedroom, second floor apartment. I don't know what people are thinking sometimes. But after three of them dying, her "clipping their wings and beaks because they were pecking eachother and jumping out of their box" and the boyfriend telling her the other three have to go she (thankfully) called me. I have no idea what shape these babies are going to be in, but hopefully it isn't too bad. She's been feeding them seed and grit (ugh), she doesn't have a heat light and they've been living in a shoebox. When I asked her how old she didn't know and she said their breed was Brockwells.

I've never heard of a brockwell and google turned up nothing? They look like little easter eggers - they've got the chipmunk stripes and dark colored legs. I'll post some pics after I pick them up tomorrow morning, but anyone ever hear of a brockwell chicken?

Thanks everyone! I'll be keeping you updated!

2. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Could it be a cross between a Barred Rock and Welsummer = BRockWel??

3. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Maybe - I'd think maybe barred rocks, but they're brown. She swears her boyfriend was told they were brockwells. I think she got fed a line of crap because they were bought at a petstore *sigh* I'm excited for my little mystery hens though!

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    There is no recognized breed as a Brockwell. Pictures would help a lot.

5. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I can't comment as to the breed, but that's so sad. :( I am so glad they are coming to you for proper care! They surely won't make it if they stay in a shoebox with no light and improper food.

6. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone, sorry I haven't gotten back to you - it was a crazy weekend. I picked the chicks up around noon and felt everyone over, they were skinny and quiet and one was panting, which I thought was a bad sign... She brought out their box and I noticed no dishes were in it, I asked "When were they fed and watered last?" And she replies, "Oh last night around eight, I only give them water and food until they stop eating and drinking, then I take it out because they lay in it and kick it all over, they're so stupid. Plus whenever I feed them they poop all over everything and walk through it and I'm getting sick of giving them baths. [​IMG] Then she tells me that one was bitten by her pet snake earlier that morning? And that it's foot had swelled up. Holy cow. I looked and sure enough this chick has two lumps on it's foot. Then she proceeds to tell me that they are ultra rare chickens called brockwells and that she paid 20 DOLLARS A PIECE for three of them. The other three she had that died, (poor things) were also "rare" chickens that she got from the same pet store for 25 a piece. She showed me pictures, the poor things were doomed from the start. She explained to me (because she is the chicken expert) that some species lay colored eggs, like blue pink or green, and that when they do the natural dye from the mother hen's egg seeps into the embryo and dies the chick the color of the egg. [​IMG]This is what the people at the pet store told her to get her to pay 25 dollars per chick for some dyed silky chicks. And considering the SUPER vibrant colors she showed me, it's no wonder they died after a few days. Then she finishes our conversation telling me that the 20th I have to go to the vet an hour from my house to get these three chicks the remainder of their shots. I gave her a questioning glance and she explained to me that the day she got them she had them vaccinated, and handed me the vet paperwork. This vet charged her 95 dollars to "vaccinate" her three chicks. He vaccinated them against (and this is taken straight from his bill) Fowl Pox, Rabies, Avian Respiratory disease (Bordetella), Heartworm, Hepatitis, Corona, Parvovirus, and Parainfluenza. Not even kidding.
    So silently fuming I drove home with these babies. First I gave them water which they drank straight for almost ten minuets, poor things. Then I cleaned off the snakebitten one's foot (which is fine now). Then I got them settled in their brooder. Then I angrily called both the vet and the pet store. The vet simply told me that he could not release any information regarding these chickens as my name was not the name on file. The woman at the pet store disgusted me the most, I called and asked her what chickens she had. She told me the same line of crap - brockwells and ultra rare naturally colored chicks. I could have jumped through the phone. Instead I calmly asked where she was getting her information on the chicks, and if she was providing proper information for the people coming to buy them. She laughed and said, "Oh, you're one of those. Listen lady, they're (explative) chickens. They're (explative) walking dollar menus. Who the (explative) cares if they live a few days, people aren't going to keep them once they get big an ugly anyway and the people realize they (explative for poo) all over anyway. They're disposable. Plus it's doing them a favor, it's either this or they end up laying in a factory and being turned into (explative) dogfood. Get off your high horse (explative). And go ahead and call animal welfare, they've been here - we're not doing one single (explative) thing wrong." Then she hung up the phone. I couldn't believe it. I literally stood in my living room stunned. I called the animal control but was told that although they had many complaints about the store, they were within PA code and there was nothing I could do except spread the word. It's sickening. But at least there are three chicks that won't be suffering the same fate. After three days they're doing good, eating and drinking, peeping and flapping around, different from what they were when I brought them home! I've got pretty high hopes for them, although I think one is a rooster. But anyway, here's their pictures, maybe you guys can figure out what they are? Ps - the dog in the picture is my mom's boston, a complete lover that was pecked only a few seconds later and sulked in the living room the rest of the night. So no worries about him and the chicks. Thanks for the support everyone! I appreciate it!

[​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Wow, it's really disheartening that such callous and hate-filled people are allowed to operate animal stores. Why go into the animal business if she dislikes them so much?

As for your chicks, they have a very common color pattern for many species of brown birds. My personal guess would be Old English Games, but they need to feather out more until they can be positively ID'ed.

As far as spreading the word, you could put up banners on telephone posts nearby the business, quoting some of her nastier words, and expressing the depravity of her business model. If she tries to retaliate through legal means, she has no grounds to do so, because Libel is when you are spreading false information. OR, you could write a nice article for the local newspaper to run. So many fun options.

8. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    They are so cute!! I am SO glad that they are with you now!

I agree with the previous poster, I would do EVERYTHING you possibly can to spread awareness about how horrible that pet store is. Spread it around to all your friends, and even contact the local news. I can't even imagine why someone would even go into business if they hate animals so much. That really breaks my heart that she cares so little about the living, breathing things that she sells. That is deplorable.

9. GentlyLiving

GentlyLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Oh my! I can not even believe what I just read! That is so horrible! I think the vet is even worse than the pet store though. They are supposed to be an authority to help people do the right thing for their animals. Thank goodness they have a decent home now. I feel so bad for the poor dyed chicks. Whoever thought that up is really sick! Wish I could help with breed, but I am too new to take a guess.

10. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Thanks everyone for your support! I plan on sending a letter to the editor in my local paper. The pet store is a pretty sketch place anyway, it's always dirty and the animals in there always look sick, so not many people I know shop there anyway. It really didn't surprise me when I found out they were from there. And yeah, the vet situation irritates me. If I took a hen to my vet and asked for it to be immunized he would laugh and send me on my way. I've heard stories about the vet she took them to, but unfortunately he's the only avian vet within a 100 miles of my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by