Back again

wezl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2010
West Georgia
I’ve been gone long enough that I’m supposed to put something here!

I’m a somewhat experienced owner starting over. After health issues and plans to move caused me to disband the flock, by butchering, selling, and giving away, I decided I was finished with chickens. I used to have turkey, quail, ducks, and a variety of quality chickens of different breeds. I had an incubator and brooder room, worked with other breeders, and was NPIP certified at one time. It was great while it lasted! I loved the fresh eggs, the variety of breeds, and the healthy meat for my family. My turkeys were really my darlings, and the last to go. It seemed that after I started having health problems, everything was falling apart, eggs stopped hatching, chicks weren’t thriving or fell to some sort of accident. For the first time, I had neighborhood dogs attack my flock, and turkeys and ducks escaped and flew away! It came down to the best thing was to keep a couple chickens and I couldn’t part with three of my turkeys. When we found property where we wanted to live, after about 3 years of searching, even the turkeys found a new home.
Now, we are all set up in the new place. It has 3+ acres just sitting here. There’s a stream when it rains and we started fruit trees out front. We’ve been buying store eggs for almost a year. A couple weeks ago, I just gagged; I remembered how delicious and healthy our fresh eggs were. I missed the companionship of a few sweet hens. There was a mailer in my email about TSC chick days. That was the tipping point. They didn’t have what I wanted at the store, so I ordered 10 Easter eggers. The same birds that started it all. 12 arrived, 5 crashed after delivery. I ended up with seven (hopefully) pullets that are looking great after 2 weeks. Seven is a good number. I’m happy with just seven chickens. No chicken math or potato chips. No Seramas, D’Uccles, Aracaunas, Cochins of any size or color... Just seven happy yard birds laying delicious eggs.
I am rejoining a few of the old forums and groups just to check up on what everyone’s doing these days, that’s all.

I’m also an artist who works with polymer clay and does portraits, illustration and animal art. Usually, I use prismacolor pencils and ink to create painted works. I’m constantly trying out new crafts and mediums. Wool needle felting is my focus, currently.

Back
Top Bottom