Back at it again

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
So I recently have been traping a lot of grey squirrels which r an invasive species in my country and I'm going around my property a lot making sure the traps r being checked and no squirrels r chewing anh electric wires etc when I cam across 2 what appeared to be large mice or small rats and I do have a rat trap which i will try and fine and set but
What type of bait should I use for mice and rats or do they both prefer different types of food?
I have felt with them in the past but I had a wee terrier at the time who long story short got the numbers well down

I have been over run with gray squirrels too. I have been shooting them. They ate the windshield washer tubing in our truck which was a pain to replace and the cable to our tv on the street end and the end on the pole by the house.
IMG_20190109_161656.jpg

You should just try something. I would not use poison, as you end up possibly poisoning the entire food chain. The rodents in my area seem to not like cheese or peanut butter. I thought peanut butter was something that any animal would go for. I have had success with apple slices.

There are a lot of options. I did quite a bit of research and it is possible but highly unlikely any critter that would eat a dead rat or mouse would die from the poison. Here they do dig tunnels under the coops where my birds can't get to and usually die in their tunnels. Possums are immune to it. I shoot the squirrels. There are so many. I'm sure I'm not putting a dent in the population. Good luck...

Thanx everyone I have the squirrels well under co troll they love the peanut butter and its super effective I'm going to just try that and maybe the apple slices to see if they work but I was chatting to a guy who said greasy foods like bacon and sausages and fat of meat r good but I neet to place it good cause they can manage to get it off the plate without triggering it

Back
Top Bottom