Back at it and question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keystonepaul, Apr 24, 2009.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Songster

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Keep a good thought- got some pheasant eggs in the bator day three, and 10 chicken eggs under a broody day 10 or so. So my question- what's the best way to candle my broody's eggs- in terms of hen mechanics- do I reach under her and take one after another, do I take her off the nest?, do I- well what exactly is the best way to do it. I can do the actual candling but just how do I get the egg so to speak. or do I just let them go?? Thanks, Keystonepaul

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    When I candle broody eggs I prefer to go out just after dark. Talk to her so she knows it's you. Take one egg at a time, candle and place it next to her. Continue until all eggs are candled. Then gently tuck them back under her. Good luck with your hatches!

3. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Songster

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Thanks Jodi, I talk to her everyday and "pet" or stroke her as well. She's pretty tolerant of me. I talk to her when I come in the hen house when I get down near her and as I'm stroking her. She's been a rock solid broody so far and accepting and tolerent of me, even if it's only 10- 15 seconds of contact. I figured I'd keep her familiar and make contact each day so it wouldn't be much differrent when I try to candle. Thanks again, Paul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by