back australorp or buff orpington roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmin4fun, Apr 10, 2012.

1. farmin4fun

farmin4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Jackson, Michigan
    Hello,

I have a small flock of black australorps and buff orpingtons and can't decide which rooster i want to keep. I have one rooster of each breed. I got these breeds because from what I've read they both seem to be pretty docile, but I haven't heard alot about the roo's specifically. I've had RIR roos before and they always seem to get mean as they get older. My two Roo's are currently both pretty docile towards humans, but they are still young and I'm worried that as they get older they might get more aggressive.

These two breeds are new to me and I let mine free range alot so I need a Roo that won't try to attack my 3yr old daughter when she goes out to play. Any advice as to which breed is more likely to stay friendly would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I originally put this post in the wrong category accidentally. Can I delete the original misplaced post? I only see options to edit, but no option to delete.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    *Black (your title of this thread)

Orpingtons are known for being docile. But usually breeder birds are calmer than hatchery birds. I know that hatchery's don't really care if the roosters they breed with the hens are mean or not. Roo's over 2 years usually won't show signs of aggression.

Maybe if you can you can modify your daughter while she plays.

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    How many hens do you have? If you have enough and everyone is getting along, why don't you keep both?

4. farmin4fun

farmin4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Jackson, Michigan
    I only have 9 hens and I don't want to wear them out. Do you have a preference between an australorp or orpington roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by