Back charging rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RhondaS, Jan 29, 2013.

1. RhondaS

RhondaS New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Last week I bought a "breeding pair" of 8 month old Black Australorps. I was told the hen is laying...so far no eggs. They are in a pen all by themselves for now and every time I go in it to feed or water them the rooster will charge me when I turn my back to go out. I really want to keep them both but don't want to have to defend myself every time I go in there...What can I do? HELP.

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    They have just had a major move so don't expect eggs just yet, if you back out the coop facing the roo he may not be so confident if he does try grab him and hold him, he won't like it, each time he goes for you after that just bending down to grab him should make him less confident, believe it or not I had to do this with a hen of mine, she was hand reared alone by me so has tonnes of confidence in me but doesn't like me grabbing her.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You might want to seriously think about breeding a rooster who is human aggressive. Temperment is heridatary! Australorps are known for being one of the more docile breeds of rooster, so why keep an aggressive one?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    He'll get better as he is used to you. Knowing you feed and water and clean the coop will settle in to his pea brain after a short time. The offspring will have been raised by you so will be far easier to handle but as Donrae points out aggression is hereditary. With your breeding keep in mind temperment as part of selection process for the breeders.But I'd assume he's still settling in to the new living situation and you.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This. My first thought was maybe his aggression is a side effect of stress from the move. I'd hang onto him for a while and see if he settles down. If he doesn't *I* would turn him into soup. Good luck :)
    Nikki

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry, I've moved lots of animals. When you move a half ton horse to a different home, yeah they might freak a little, but you still can't let it get aggressive toward humans. When you bring a new dog into your home you don't let it bite you a few times until it settles down. You get the idea. Once a roo starts charging humans in my experience you can never turn your back on him again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by