back from broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dcs02d, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dcs02d

dcs02d In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2010
    I had a hen go broody. I didn't do anything and after a few weeks she got over it. She is now out and about every day, no longer sitting in the hen house. It's been almost two weeks though and still no eggs from her.

Is this normal?

2. Caincando1

Caincando1 In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    I'm wondering the same thing. I have one go broody so I put her and my rooster in their own coop/run. She stopped trying to sit when I moved her. It's been nearly two weeks and she hasn't started laying again yet.

3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    Yes, in my experience it can take at least two weeks for them to start laying again after being broody.
    CJ

4. nakedrooster

nakedrooster Hatching

Jul 15, 2010
    We also have a couple of broody hens. Sit in box all day an no eggs. What is an effective remedy if any?

5. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    nakedrooster: The remedy I use is a cage with a wire bottom that I have sitting up on four bricks so air can circulate underneath. I put the broody hen in there with food and water. It usually takes three to four days in the cage to break the broody cycle. Sometimes longer if she is particularly stubborn. At the end of the day, after I know all who are going to lay have laid, I block off the nesting boxes (otherwise they will spend the night in them) and let them out of the cage. This method has always worked for me and I have four bantams that seem to want to go broody every other month or so.
    CJ

6. k9atz

k9atz Hatching

Jan 18, 2010
    One of my roosterless hens has just started behaving peculiarly, not laying but hanging out in the nest box all fluffed up and very snappish. Assuming that she's gone broody I am following someone's suggestion to break her of it as soon as possible, because if she stays there she won't eat or drink, and there is also danger of getting a mite infestation. She hates being removed from the nest box, but when I do that (and block it off), she'll eat and drink and generally terrrorize the other 3 chooks as usual, but she still puffs up her feathers alot. She's also spending hours taking dust baths, which I think is a good sign re the mites. If this doesn't work I will try your suggestion, simpsoncj, of closing her in the wire-bottomed hutch with food and water. I can imagine that will really make her madder than the proverbial wet hen. Thanks for the tip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: