Back from vacation and holy heck, what I came home to!

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
14 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
DH cared for (read: fed and watered) the animals while I was gone.

About half way through the vaca, I asked if he was collecting eggs. I had told him before I left that if he didn't, the hens would go broody on them.

He never collected them. I was gone 12 days.
ep.gif

Last count, there were 39 in there. A hen on a mountain of eggs. Then another hen joined her.

I need to sort through and give each girl some and take the others that were laid late to put in the `bator, but I'm still too exhausted from the trip to deal with that. heh

Trip was good, sister is not doing well, though. Chemo exhausts her and makes her horribly sick so they've halfed each dosage and she'll have to be on it for double the time.

Last edited:
My thoughts are with your sister.
MEN!! Did he forget chickens lay eggs or what?

A friend of my dh's went on vacation and his brother was watching his chickens. When this guy got home there were about 200 eggs everywhere. I wish he had taken a picture of that!

Quote:
I'll candle them to see which ones are at a similar incubation stage.

MP ~ heh nope, just decided not to do it. He's never done anything as far as my animals so I'm thrilled he offered to care for (all) of them for me for the time I was gone. We were going to have someone come take care of the outdoor chickens, ducks and cats, but DH offered so I took him up on it. Cheaper than paying to have it done, that's for sure! That's fine, he knows he can't say a word when I have eleventy million chicks walking around. ;-) Funny thing is, I was thinking I'd be feeling bad because I wouldn't have any chicks for a while, but the hens did it for me. ;-)

Last edited:
Your poor sister. She's lucky to have you and your support, and you're lucky that you are available to offer it to her. Bless you both.

I'm going to be chuckling for a while about the mental image of a hen sitting on 39 eggs.

Unfortunately, my sister is about 1000 miles away so we're not able to provide much support. Dad needed to go see her so we made it a family trip with the kids.

Well, I candled and those darn hens could NOT grow that many eggs! hehe I left 4 for each of them and stuck the rest in the incubator.

I'll tell DH I have been instructed to spank him.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom