Back in the day - before I got chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, May 7, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I remember several years ago, before I got chickens, I showed DH a pic of a polish chicken. I thought it was adorable, DH thought it was hideous. I've shown him pics of polish chickens since then and he still votes hideous.

Knowing how he feels about them, I was really nervous about telling him that I had bought my silkie Jethro *gasp* polish chicks. I expected him to have a flying duck fit. [​IMG] So I took the easy way out and told him on the phone. No flying duck fit, just a "oh that's nice".

Again yesterday I told him several times that the chicks I had bought on Wednesday were POLISH. His only reply was "I'll bet Jethro is happy to finally be a mom, to more than one chick". [​IMG]

Today he saw the 'hideous" polish chicks for the first time. His response? "Those have got to be the CUTEST chicks I have ever seen!" So I reminded him that they are POLISH. "Well they sure are cute, whatever breed that is!"

I don't think he's making the connection between the cute little chicks with the yellow bumps on their heads and the chickens that he thinks are so hideous.

Should I tell him?

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

You did what you could. He'll figure it out eventually, but IMO they just get cuter as they grow up! He'll love them I bet!

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I wouldn't tell him, the day he connects the dots on his own will be priceless. [​IMG]

4. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    Quote:LOL Yes this! Tell him if he adores them so, he should get a couple! Make sure you have him take care of them, and bond and stuff, learn their personalities.... fall in love in other words. Then they grow and he will be hooked, yes? [​IMG]

5. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Quote:LOL Yes this! Tell him if he adores them so, he should get a couple! Make sure you have him take care of them, and bond and stuff, learn their personalities.... fall in love in other words. Then they grow and he will be hooked, yes? [​IMG]

X's 2

[​IMG]

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would just wait until he figures it out on his own. That will be priceless but by then he will be hooked.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    So does he know yet? [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I told him tonight. His response was not family friendly. [​IMG]

9. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    you know you could have just waited and be "surprised" THEY were polish yoursel - kinda like when you buy pullets and end up with roos....

next time ask me first - i am the BEST spin doctor

10. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    It would've been funny to see if he actually noticed. And the look on his face when the cute liddle chickies grew up into big, hideous Polishes... [​IMG] The changes would be pretty gradual though, so he'd probably have gotten used to it by then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by