1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Back in the egg business!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocky4052, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    My 20 white leghorns have been on "strike" for about the last 6 weeks (or more) due to a molt. Last week I followed the advice that was posted from you good people to give them some black oil sunflower seeds for more protein. Mixed them in with their layer pellets.

Yesterday had 8 eggs, today so far have 13. They are now back to earning their keep !!!! BYC rocks!! [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Black oil sunflower seeds and artificial light worked well for me too! Congrats!

3. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Where do you get black oil sunflower seeds?

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

You can get black oils (AKA BOSS) just about anywhere - even Walmart.

I make sure to get the type that is not coated. They coat some of them with some supplement for wild birds, I prefer to buy plain seed as I already feed a balanced layer ration.

5. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    I got mine from the hardware/feed store that I do business with. Your feed supplier should have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by