back in the saddle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kinnip, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It's been 17 years since I stopped riding (unwillingly). Today I had my first lesson at Loriento Riding Academy. It was amazing. I did better than I thought I would. The instructor uses Mary Wanless' method of training. It's a little different than the hunter/jumper curriculum I followed in my youth. The concentration is on using the thighs and knees instead of turning the leg out and pushing into the heal as hard as possible. I was skeptical at first, but not any more. The technique worked so well that even in my atrophied state the horse collected itself with no queue from me. It was all just proper position and listening to the horse. I can't wait till next Tues.!!!! [​IMG]

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Get back to it, I have 3 2 year olds in my barn that need to be broke ..........

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    you will be floored when you get to the point of just THINKING about what you want and the horse does it...that is the greatest feeling,but takes a ton of work and communacation between you and the horse,tho some horses pick up on it a lot faster then others..have fun and good job!!!

4. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Are these new, or were they there when I picked up Wendy? BTW, here's a picture: [​IMG]

I've been trying to get a nice action shot, but she has an uncanny camera sense. As soon as she hears it power up, she's posing. What a ham! [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    hey, congrats! You're fortunate to have found a Wanless type instructor - while I am sure there are lousy ones out there (as with anything), in general her methods are very good and the instructors usually quite adept teachers, IME.

Have fun! [​IMG]

Pat

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
  7. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Are these new, or were they there when I picked up Wendy? BTW, here's a picture: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6711_000_1529.jpg

I've been trying to get a nice action shot, but she has an uncanny camera sense. As soon as she hears it power up, she's posing. What a ham! [​IMG]

beautiful dog !!!

I have lockedhearts to thank for her. She's a sweetheart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by