Back of Polish's Head Is Bloody and Raw!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citychickinthecountry, May 29, 2010.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    By 12-Week Old Polish's head is bloody and raw. The 8 other 12-week old chickens that are in the coop with him/her have been plucking it's feathers and have gotten it's head bloody. The area looks a little swollen, but I don't see any skin missing...just missing feathers.

How should I treat this? I have separated him/her from the other chickens. I am worried about washing his/her head because I don't want to cause any brain damage by possibly pressing on his/her brain. [​IMG]

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

2. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Wow that looks nasty, sorry I cant be of help, but I think someone will come along with some knowledge.

3. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Guess I should add that he/she is acting normal...except that he/she is more cuddly than normal, which I'm guessing is just knowledge that I'm trying to help, so he/she is cooperating and cuddling to feel better. [​IMG] But he/she is moving around, eating, drinking, and "talking" like normal.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You actually have done the first important phase of its treatment. Getting it away from the other birds. While it looks bad it really isn't very bad. I have had birds that were much worse and they recovered fully and the feathers grew back normally. A good friend had a bird that the skin was completely removed and there was a small hole in the skull. The bird recovered, the skin regrew, but it remained a bald headed bird. Your bird should be treated with a small amount of an anti-biotic ointment (without pain killer as it can be fatal) Apply the ointment lightly for a couple of days and don't put it back with the others until completely healed.

5. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    When you say don't put him/her back with the other birds until "completely healed" do you mean the redness, swelling, and bloodiness is gone, or as in the feathers have grown back?

Thank you so much for the advice. He/she is sleeping right now, so I will put the anti-biotic ointment on first thing in the morning. (I don't want to stress the bird out any more than it already is. I can't imagine that he/she will have an infection start in a matter of 10 hours...right?)

6. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    Poor Baby................. I'd sure get him away from the offending peckers, and clean the area with betadine, then neosporin, and try to keep it clean. personally...........I'd try to pluck the broken feathers, that will stop them from bleeding, but I'm not sure about doing it on a polish's crown....... anybody know for sure about that???? Good Luck, Polish are such SWEET birds

7. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    This has happen to me with polish before. I could never get non-crested breeds to accept them. I think it was just me through. The polish I had that it happen to healed up just fine with no trouble, how ever it took forever for their crest to grow back. I say you might want to watch for infection out side that I say it will be fine. I hope that helps.

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Treating the bird in the morning will be okay since the injury isn't that severe. By waiting I meant completely healed and feather regrown. You have heard the adage birds of a feather flock together, I think who ever coined that phrase must have been raising chickens. In my experience I have found there are often problems with birds accepting birds that are different, even to the point of ostracizing a bird of a different color. Often they will literally peck the different bird to death. Many folks, as pointed out by NEK38583, have trouble raising crested birds with non crested. The problem with pecking is exacerbated if the birds are kept in close confinement; the odd bird has no means of escape.

Your right about the bird being stressed. You might want to add some Poultry Drench or equivelent electrolyte to it's water to give it a extra boost. You could even use Pedi-lyte as an exceptable substitute or a little molasses in the water.

I wouldn't pluck any feathers, it will only add more stress and bleeding.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Hi. This seems to be a problem with polish chickens always getting picked on. Our polish is constantly bald in the same spot. The other girls pick on her occasionally and when she gets bloody, we clean her up with some hydrogen peroxide. Once she is disinfected, we put a little A&D ointment on her wounds. I would think neosporin would do the trick too. It seems to heal her up until they get to her again. We also found giving her a mini haircut around her eyes allows her to see to get away from a potential attack! She just goes about her day otherwise and doesn't seem to be in pain. Sometimes the feathers grow back and sometimes they don't. Hope this helps. Good luck!

10. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got these 2 last summer from Idea' the only 2 that survived out of 10 [​IMG], one that died had been a free surprise exotic from McM, 2 orders.................................combined with other birds.........of course
    I was lucky [​IMG] to get a pair out of the deal, I just don't have an extra little breeding coop for them.. I bought 5 from a local hatchery this year, white crested blacks and all are doing fine after 4 weeks, such gentle sweet birds they are. [​IMG]
    I've NEVER.................KNOCK ON WOOD [​IMG] had a problem with others pecking on them, and they are the only Polish in with about 50 other chickens. [​IMG] Once it heals, maybe put some no-pick, I likw the Roosater Booster PICJ- NO-More Lotion, it neat;y squeezes out and really discourages that behavior.
    Ket me know how it goes...............
    Have a great holiday, and I hope everything gets nuttin butt betterer..............Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by