Back part of comb is white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennotrooster, Nov 28, 2012.

1. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    What would cause my hens (Floppy) comb to turn white and flop over? It had regained color but this morning I noticed it was white again at the base of the back portion and is worse than before. Is this painful for her and what can I do to help?

2. handyman

handyman Out Of The Brooder

Is it frostbite?

3. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    No...this morning she has color back but the comb does flop over to one side (back portion). She eats and drinks as well as ever she escapes from the yard when she wants to and goes back in when ready to. Her comb has been like this for some time now.

4. krackowpolish

krackowpolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    fallbrook
    sometimes when a hen pecks it and it heals it is white for a while. but im not sure. what breed of chicken is she?

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    favus?

6. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    What is favus?

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is a fungus. It starts growing on the comb then spreads to the waddles and face. It looks white ish. Do a google image search.

1 person likes this.
  8. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    She developed this in the months ago but is only on the base of the comb but I will take your advise and look further into this. A really good place to start.

Thanks

9. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Okay this was really bad pictures are a little more than I expected. People get this as well. It does look like some of the pics they showed of chickens except hers is just in the one spot for now, so now that you have led me in the right direction I will see what I can do to fix the problem[​IMG] I thank you much.

10. hennotrooster

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Our mean one and her sister do peck at their combs she is a RIR/BO mix. Her comb has regained it color this morning so I am not sure she has a favus as was suggested but when it is white it sure looks like it. I am going to be keeping a closer eye on it and her whole face to make sure she does not have favus. The hen that pecks at her (and all the other hens) is a Sussex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by