Back-to-back broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michpetea, Aug 8, 2011.

1. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    We just re-homed 7 roosters that hatched this spring. One of my girls had only boys hatch so all her 12 week olds have left. She started laying a few weeks ago prior to their departure but in the last day or so is trying to set on any eggs being laid. I have told her she can't have any more babies this year. Is this common for back-to-back broodiness. One of my other girls laid a microscopic egg yesterday because the bossy broody girl is sitting in everyones nest as soon as they start to lay. I have 7 girls now of age and all actually laid yesterday if I include the pip squeak egg. We did keep one of the boys (ameracauna) and I am curious if this is changing their behaviours as we have only had girls in the past.

2. chickensRcute

chickensRcute Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    DeBeque
    I have a standard cochin that goes broody all the time! I broke her of one of the broods and then within a week or so she went into a very long brood I could not break her from. I don't think adding a roo is a problem. I only had hens for a year and now I have three roos. My main broody hen did it before all the roos came, and she did it while I got the roos and she does it now![​IMG] I always worry she isn't eating enough, so I put some treats in her nest, sometimes she will eat it but I have also seen her leave that nest to sit in another when I do it. I sometimes take her to the feed and drink and she will lay there and eat and drink but then again, you can take the hen to the food but can't make them eat![​IMG] Good luck with your broody girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by