back to chickens again

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rrawhide, Feb 10, 2015.

1. rrawhide

rrawhide New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    Years ago when kids were growing up we had a few hens. Lots of fun but as time went by so did the hens.

NOW, we are older (not old, mind you) but older so dusted off the old chicken coop - cleaned out all the debris from lots of storage stuff and bought 9 laying hens plus was given 1 horny rooster!!! Happy family but then I did it - - -

bought 10 babies - 4 easter eggers - 3 barred rocks and 3 rhode island reds from my local feed store. Had pretty much what i needed so just started. Baby brooder is an old cattle waterer - 5' x 2' - with shavings it works fine. Be good for a month, I think!!!!!

Then I looked around here and found an old stock rack down in the field where I dropped it off probably 20 years ago. Since it is steel it is being repurposed - should look good when done. I'll post pictures later.

We are in Springville, California near the Sequoia National Forest - so we call this Central Cal. Hot in summer and not much rain in winter - been in a drought for several years.

We have lived in the country for the last 40 years and had all the livestock we ever wanted and now down to 3 dogs and 2 cats. AND AND AND now chickens and chicks!!!! We only have 1 grandson so I guess that I will call these my 'grandchicks' !!!

Spent lots and lots of hours on this website and am glad to be a member!!!

Thanx BYC

rrawhide

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock and welcome back to chickens! [​IMG]

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've been to the California Sequoia National Forest!! It is amazing!
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined us!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like another case of severe chicken addiction - you'll blend in just fine on Backyard Chickens

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. We've been to the Sequoia National Forest on several occasions while we lived in California and love it there. :eek:) The Giant Sequoias are amazing trees. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Sounds like you're having fun getting back to chickens again. Nice to have you join us and if you have any questions or just want to share some photos, just jump in!

(All this talk about Sequoia Forest is making me want to go there...who's volunteering to come to FL to babysit my girls?)

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

It sounds like you have a nice varied flock with different breeds! Good luck with them.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chickens! If you have any questions, we'll be happy to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by