Back to chickens!

Killlakilljoys

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2019
Central indiana
hi guys! I'm killjoy and i havent had chickens in about a decade... No time like the present to go back to chickens! I plan to get some Ayam Cemani eggs, a school incubator setup, and let my local school use them as a teaching tool. Obviously they won't be able to keep them... So I will! I know that probably sounds like I'm pushing it off on someone else, but really - kids deserve the ipprotunity to see it all! Now my only question is what to do with all the roosters I'm probably gonna get.

I raised a flock of rhode island reds as a kid though, loved em to death. Nothing like a chicken sitting on your shoulder while you work!

As for why ACs over another breed? Well.. I never really left my goth phase :) that, and hey! Theyre great show chickens, I hear!

:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC

8154C5CD-F2F4-4B25-9AB2-17F8C6AEE600.jpeg

2BYC-Chicken-Greetings-sm.png

hello-smiley.gif
Welcome to BYC! Depending on your setup and how much space you have outside, you could always try keeping a separate rooster flock. Sometimes they can live happily together if there are no females in sight to fight over:
Rooster Flocks
You could also try selling them, seems like you'd have much better luck selling Ayam Cemani cockerels than any other breeds. Good luck with the incubation!

View attachment 1685369

View attachment 1685371 Welcome to BYC! Depending on your setup and how much space you have outside, you could always try keeping a separate rooster flock. Sometimes they can live happily together if there are no females in sight to fight over:
Rooster Flocks
You could also try selling them, seems like you'd have much better luck selling Ayam Cemani cockerels than any other breeds. Good luck with the incubation!

Thanks for the advice! I have about 2.5 acres of solid unused space, so plenty for two flocks have a good run! Also plenty for them to get gotten on, so ill still have to fence them in extremely well ( beware the rural predator... ). my main worry is how I'm going to build enough coop per clucker at that rate! I was reading around the site and noticed people occasionally doing livestock auctions... Wonder how well the local Amish community would take to a completely black roo?

Back
Top Bottom