1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Back to my broody hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JO & RH, Jul 28, 2008.

1. JO & RH

JO & RH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    St Petersburg, FL
    who has been sitting in one of the nesting boxes
    now for at least 4-5 weeks. During which time she
    laid one (1) egg! (which I took from her). We have
    no roosters, and are not planning on raising any
    peeps; her job is to lay eggs...I have not seen her
    out of the box during this period of time. Though she must be coming out to eat and drink sometime.
    If I remove the nesting box, will she give up, or probably just move nto and take over the remaining nest box, which our other to B.O.'s use each day to leave us one egg each (bless their little sweet hearts).

My question is: how long is she a broody hen before she is a chicken stew ????

2. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I am not looking forward to this. I was told RIR's rarely go broody, let's hope this falls true. Anyway, I heard on here if it does, then ya just keep kicking her out of the nest. I also heard to separate her, and another thing I heard is to dunk her in water. This is all hearsay though. If it were me, I would try to stress her out a bit....put her in the bathroom for a couple of days while playing her some Billy Idol music or something. [​IMG] Oh, and whatever your choice of music is, make for certain it isn't any kind of Kenny G. You don't want her to go into a coma.

I forgot to answer your question. I would turn her into stew the day her replacement becomes close to laying.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by