Back to the old Heritage breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by seminolewind, Aug 10, 2014.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wonder how many of us have been thru the "must have some of these and some of those" and feel that Heritage breeds is where you'll end up at some point? I guess I've lately been enjoying a few BO's and a few Speckled Sussex, and my Jerseys and they are just so friendly and follow me around and want to know what I'm doing and hang out and nap if I sit outside. And that's behavior with no treat involved. My BR's have always been nosy and entertaining. I feel they get more attached to me than others (mostly).

I am not knocking other breeds-I have wonderful chickens. But I guess Lately I've started to ponder why these old breeds have remained so popular for years.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I like the hybrids, particularly the Black Sex Links, for their laying ability and have always kept some for just that reason, but for the best, all-around, dual purpose breeds, I don't think some of the heritage breeds can be matched. I especially like the Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons, and have kept some in my flocks for years. Both breeds are very hardy, friendly and gentle, decent meat birds, and good layers of large, brown eggs (the Australorps particularly excel in their laying). I've also had other good, dependable, dual-purpose, heritage breeds, including Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, Black Jersey Giants, etc. Good luck with your heritage breeds. :eek:)

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks for the reply, I think you brought up some points that me, with my "blinders" didn't see, LOL. I have to admit that I was thinking of only past personality and egg laying, I didn't even think of the rest, LOL.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. Hybrids definitely have their place and will stay with us for either their laying abilities, or meat qualities (Cornish cross or example), but I don't think they will ever replace heritage breeds. As you said in your first post, there is a reason that those heritage breeds have remained so popular for years. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by