Back toenail growing in backwards

0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
One of my ducks, Goose, lost a back toenail at some point. It was there one day and completely gone the next with no signs of injury - no limping, favoring, or blood. I only noticed because I was holding him and checking his feet.

Since that discovery the nail has attempted to regrow multiple times. Each time at a different angle. This time it’s going straight up.

The nail never seems to bother him - I can poke and prod it without any reaction.

I’ll try and get some pictures later - he’s a little upset right now since the girls are out and I just gave him a check over.

Anyone else have something like this happen? Any fixes? Should I just leave it alone and keep an eye out for any discomfort?

I'm not familiar with ducks, but with my chickens, if one has a wonky toe and consequently wonky toe nail, I just trim it (if needed). Otherwise, business as usual!

My duck, Nettle, has two back toenails just like you described. She even lost them at some point and they grew back. She is at least 8 years old now, and she came to me at at least one year old with one back toenail missing. They've been wonky for a few years now, but this last year they are really pointing up!

She just went to the vet (for an unrelated issue) and her doctor checked her feet very well and said her feet looked good - but I didn't specifically ask about her back toes. I will soon, just in case.

My duck, Nettle, has two back toenails just like you described. She even lost them at some point and they grew back. She is at least 8 years old now, and she came to me at at least one year old with one back toenail missing. They've been wonky for a few years now, but this last year they are really pointing up!

She just went to the vet (for an unrelated issue) and her doctor checked her feet very well and said her feet looked good - but I didn't specifically ask about her back toes. I will soon, just in case.
It helps to know my duck isn’t the only one with wonky toes.
No clue on how his toenail went missing, especially without any signs of injury. Perhaps there’s a toenail stealing fairy out and about LOL
As long as there’s no pain or possible issues then I’m not concerned

It helps to know my duck isn’t the only one with wonky toes.
No clue on how his toenail went missing, especially without any signs of injury. Perhaps there’s a toenail stealing fairy out and about LOL
As long as there’s no pain or possible issues then I’m not concerned
I always assumed Nettle (female) lost her first one being ganged up on by wild mallards when she was abandoned in a pond before she came to me. Her toe and feathers were pretty bloody when she arrived. But she healed up pretty quickly. The second one was much less traumatic. I probably didn't even notice it for some time. Now my ducks live a very protected and gentle lifestyle. I have all females, but they do mate with each other - rather gently. I assume it happened during mating because that's the most active thing they do, but I could be completely wrong.

I'll try to update if I find out anything more about it.

One of my ducks, Goose, lost a back toenail at some point. It was there one day and completely gone the next with no signs of injury - no limping, favoring, or blood. I only noticed because I was holding him and checking his feet.

Since that discovery the nail has attempted to regrow multiple times. Each time at a different angle. This time it’s going straight up.

The nail never seems to bother him - I can poke and prod it without any reaction.

I’ll try and get some pictures later - he’s a little upset right now since the girls are out and I just gave him a check over.

Anyone else have something like this happen? Any fixes? Should I just leave it alone and keep an eye out for any discomfort?
I know this is an old thread but this happened to my chicken! I noticed that her nail was growing straight up and yesterday when I inspected her foot, I see the nail is totally gone. no sign of injury, etc like you. so odd!

Back
Top Bottom