backporch chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marcus connor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I want my 17 chickens to get off my backporch, HELP ME.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Don't you have a coop? If you don't they need a coop for protection from predators.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] Good luck! My hubby wants mine out of his open garage. He collects eggs off the runners of his snowmobile and wash the poop off his hands that was on the tool that was on the bench that he grabbed and excuse us when we try to back the car out of there cuz they're sitting under it or trying to get in it...... I'm sorry, maybe a gate across the steps? [​IMG]

4. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Look at it from a chicken's point of view. What do they like about it? If an area with similar features is created for them, they may choose to relax there instead. If that doesn't work or isn't possible, the porch will have to become unappealing to them. Fencing it off so they can't access it is also an alternative.

5. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas

Of course I have a coop, a 16x4 coop

6. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas

I do have all the animal's food up there. But that's it

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It really isn't an "of course" - it may seem like an obvious answer, but experience has taught not to take anything for granted or assume that someone might or might not be making use of a coop. With chickens you either have to fence them into where you do want them or fence them out of areas you do not want them. Perhaps some photos of the porch and surrounding area would allow us to make suggestions as to how you might make the porch seem less attractive to the birds - or, more to the point, how to make a more desirable (to you) area look more attractive.

8. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I will get a few pictures of the area but I think it's mostly the food up there

9. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I'm sorry for laughing. I've tried to keep my chickens off of porches and the garage but we can't fence off everything. It is a pain but we have resolved ourselves to brooms and sweeping. They have 5 acres to roam but they go places we don't want just because they can. It's frustrating sometimes but I wouldn't trade them for the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by