backup bator! New PICS Of Silkies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jbowyer01, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Okay after an incubator failure this morning! UHGGGGGG! Thank goodness I had a second bator going with some cochin eggs. We had to do a quick switch of eggs. I noticed that my light wasnt coming back on and when the temp had reached 92 degrees I yelled for help. My DH and I carefully moved the carton holding the silkie eggs ( from the wonderful Must Be Crazy) into the bator with the cochin eggs (hopefully moving the cochin eggs wont bother that hatch, they are on day 18) I had already started to up the humidity in that bator so we placed the silkie eggs in that bator (meanwhile one of the silkies started zipping!) I ran the 5 orpington eggs from Miss_prissy(she sent me 16) out to the two broody hens (they are bantam cochins and are now sitting on 8 orpington eggs each, you should see those little buts trying to cover those eggs). At present I have one silkie totaly hatched (I will post pics for all to see) one is zipping and two others are pipping. Talk about stress! I called in late to work to try and get everything straightend out! Whew!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Yay! My first Georgia girl! I am such a happy grandma! It is early but...she looks blue!

BTW - Were all 8 viable when you last candled or did you only have room for 6?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Only 6 were viable. One didnt look fertile and the other had tons of little bubbles in it, and that was candling at day 10. But these 6 looked strong, even had movement on day 18. They are wonderful. 5 little toes on each foot! Congratulations grandma! [​IMG]

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Yea!!!!! I have 6 for 6! 5 are out, dry and fluffy (my daughter described them as poofballs with little beaks, I'm at work) 1 is in the process of zipping the rest of the way out. I can not express enough thanks to Must Be Crazy! She was wonderful with with tons of support and answered all my questions! She's a wonderful grandma (or as we say in this part of the south meemaw)

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Bragging will only get you shot... sigh my bator is stuffed and my broody turkey just had a meltdown. I'm all for strangling her.

I took four, three going and one slightly cracked probable failure. I gave her back all six that were still so new they're clear. And then I put all three of the suckers back in the coop and locked the door. No one gets out til there are POULTS I don't care how badly they pout. New mom or not she's making me crazy.

I didn't have room, I made room, sort of. I waxed the broken egg and I'll look again in a couple days but I think I'm too late, too bad the little sucker was about day 14 from the candling.

I'd kill for another bator but I don't even have the money for the spare parts to build one.

I'm really glad you went six for six, send good luck and good vibes this way...

6. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    walkswithdog good vibes coming your way~ I can undestand about the cost thing! The second incubator was going only because my DH want to try to hatch a cochin that looks like his hen, so its a good thing it was going.

heres a couple of pics of the new dry and fluffy babbies. I cant believe how tiny they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Awww....what beautiful grandbabies.

Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by