Backup plan for power outage?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by as110, Mar 29, 2017.

1. as110

as110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2017
    Falkland BC
    I was wondering if anyone came up with a plan B to prevent heat loss when there is a power outage.
    I am at the end of a first time hatch and not holding up too much hope that any egg will hatch. We had a pwer outage on day 10 for 3 hours, and a temp spike on day 19 in lockdown for an hour. I can't get the humidity level up and I am literally boiling water in the box. It is day 20.

Everything that could go wrong did.
    I will have to formulate a different plan for next time.
    Anyone?

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Here's a discussion about power outage solution that could actually work https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/371078/incubator-run-on-car-battery

3 hours of power outage shouldn't ruin the hatch and a temperature spike (if not too severe) also shouldn't do too much damage.

As far as the humidity goes, I've learnt from experience that poor insulation is your worst enemy. If your incubator has only a thin plastic lid, the condensation will occur and that makes you lose a lot of humidity inside the incubator. Make sure you have plenty of insulation (with proper ventilation) and also keep in mind that it's the surface area that matters when it comes to humidity, the greater the area the more humidity you can get.

I needed to do 3 hatches with my incubator before I figured it out, so you're not alone in this "everything that could go wrong did" thing :D

3. as110

as110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2017
    Falkland BC
    I am sure now the insulation (or lack of) is a problem. The incubator is made out of a cardboard box. I believe it is soaking up all the humidity. That is why I started to boil water in there. It had been going up slowly since I started but it is still too low 52% and it's too late to find out that the box does not work. I had sponges in there from day 1, and added sopping wet face cloths hanging from the top but it wasn't enough. There is lots of warm water in the container for the sponges that soak it up. Now there is a cup of water on a cup heater pad and I can see the water moving. It is boiling. There is no condensation so I think the cardboard must be taking it all up. It should have been covered with plastic sheets inside but we are in lockdown now and I don't have another box to make it. Anyway, thanks for the link. I also found another post with ideas. I am taking notes for the next round. The incubator will be styrofoam with acess holes in case I need to get in there but should not open the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by