Backwards hatching Chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hfrey, Oct 18, 2015.

1. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    I have an incubator full of 10 eggs, one of the eggs is on lock down, yesterday (day 19) I noticed the chick pipped and zipped at the wrong side of the egg! Curious I took the chick and made the pop hole just a tad bit bigger to give it enough air to breathe since I know the yolk doesn't fully absorb until day 20 to day 21. I want to know when I need I assist it. It's breathing fine and chirping I'm just worried I will assist it to early and possibly to late to where it's to weak. Today is day 20 of the incubation for that chick

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    In my experience chicks that pip at the wrong end can usually get out on their own, so it will probably be fine [​IMG] . Sometimes they do need help cracking the shell though so here is a guide to assisted hatching https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching , hope this helps. It might be good to post in the incubating/hatching part of the forum to get some more advise.

4. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    The reason why I want to get it out so bad is that it looks like a layer of its skin is covering it's nostril and its having a hard time breathing , I peeled back some of the membrane since the chick moved a little bit, there was no blood but you can see the veins .. I'm getting so worried

5. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    You can barley see the beak, the baby is moving around so much that it's beak is being covered by the layer of skin

6. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Maybe you could carefully push the skin aside if possible, wait until all veins are receded before removing too much more membrane though. Other than that it looks good to me, wait a few more hours - or until after all the veins have receded - and then maybe chip away a little bit of shell and peel back the membrane so the chicks head is out, then hopefully it will be able to get out the rest of the way on its own.

7. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Thank you, I looked up what position the chick is in and it actually has is head tucked between its legs.. Seems uncomfortable but I won't start messing with it until day 21 (tomorrow) I will let you know how everything goes

8. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Hope it all goes well!

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture