1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Backwards leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freedomrayn, Feb 22, 2013.

1. freedomrayn

freedomrayn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    One of our chicks sustained an injury when she was only a couple of days old. X-rays were inconclusive, but it appeared to heal by itself. About two months later, the chicks leg seemed to be turned all f a sudden, so that her foot was facing out toward the side. We brought her to a vet again, they guessed that she may have initially have sustained a break in part of her growth plate. The theory was, that the part that may have cracked would now not grow, while the other part of the bone would grow, causing the bone to curve as it continues growing(I hope that I am not losing you already). The vet said there was nothing we could do and that splinting, nor attempting to attach it to the other leg would help. Days later, the foot was turned completely backward. Back to the vet. Vet says nothing they can do. Days later, she was only able to walk on the part of her leg where the feathers stop. The vet I am working with is the only one in the area that will even see a chicken, but admits that it had no experience with such. The vet also said that with chicken legs, surgery is not an option. The chicken is happy, healthy otherwise, loving and protected by her "sister" chick and the rooster. She can now only sort of crawl/roll to food and water, but is in no pain and really appears happy. I have NO intention of putting her down as long as she is happy and not in pain, but am wondering if any of you have suggestions or experience with such. She is an inside pet, so exposure to elements, other animals, etc. is not a concern.

Thank you so much in advance for your comments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by