backwards quail!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by camchick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    I was just watching my coturnix running around and noticed one of them is running backwards quite a lot. It is also moulting so I guess it could be to do with that???

Does anyone know why its going backwards?!?!

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    change of scenery?

3. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    WTHeck?! A backwards-running quail?!

[​IMG] Video, please!! [​IMG]

4. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    If I knew how, I'd put a video on!!! Rofl

Has nobody seen this before then? Its still doing it but not all the time, kinda shuffles more than runs really

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Don't know about Cots, but Bobs normally put it in reverse a few steps to poop. Maybe yours are bad constipated..... [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've seen mine do this but can't tell you why. I see them doing this when I walk up to the pen. My Bob's like to sneak around its weird looking.

7. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Bobs do that too? I can confirm that cots back up and poop also. I thought it was just because cots are so "domesticated" that they do funny things. I can't figure out why a bird would have to back up to poop...

8. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanx 7L farm for letting me know I don't have strange birds!! Mine tend to do it when I walk up to the pen too.

Also, I did wonder about the backing up to poop... Maybe its like a quail equivalent of sitting on a toilet!

9. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I just put my chicks on wire and I noticed they were sitting on their butts and knees (it's really their ankles since they bend the opposite way). I guess they didn't like the feel of the wire. I noticed one was walking on his knees so I thought he was sick, but when I got close, he jumped up and ran off.

[​IMG] It's almost as weird looking as them laying out like dead rubber chickens.

Quail are definitely different!

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yup you look in the pen & think man I guess I'm gonna half to cull that one & then the bird is fine. They sleep like humans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by