Backyard Chicken book due out in January- Gardening

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 17, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'll be looking for it come January. Thanks for the link. [​IMG]

3. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    You'll have to read it fast and give us a good review come January [​IMG] Promo looks good, I'm going to have to start thinking about a duck garden before long. Slugs and snails are just getting ridiculous this year..must be because the weather has been so damp and mild during the fall.

Were you able to get anything of a winter garden planted?

I had some swiss chard survive along with winterbore kale, harvested enough to make a duck egg quiche. Now I'm wishing I had planted more greens.

4. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I put some garlic in and have some kale, but don't traditionally have much of a winter garden. That may change next year since I could probably overwinter some things to feed the ducks (and us too of course). Probably will try to do more kale and such. Also going to grow cabbage which I have never done before. The winters where I have tried it have been extremely cold, and even usual hoops and covers didn't save most of it. Last time I tried we had temps down to 9 degrees and about 10 inches of snow.

5. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    As for the book, I already have a request in to the library, but there is already a waiting list ahead of me.....maybe Santa will come through with a late Christmas gift.

6. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    http://eco-logicalhome.com/

Podcast from Jessi Bloom on Free Range Chickens

The book is good. I got it from the library. Lots of information, cool pictures, not as extensive as would have liked but she covered a wide range of information. Definitely the best chicken gardening book I have seen.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I preordered it from Amazon and have already read it. I liked it but I will still have to fence off plants that I don't want trampled and or eaten. but I guess thats the price we pay for having free range flocks.

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    What's the title of the book? Is it "Free Range Chickens"?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Free Range chicken gardens by Jessi Bloom

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Since the ducks are wild about lettuce, and I could do better eating more of it myself, I am starting several pots full of it, myself. The slug problem is much less now that the ducks have been here a couple of years, but there are still some slugs out there.

Anyway, I have found that railing planters produce a pretty good amount of lettuce, and the slugs cannot get at it. I have railing planters on top of the Day Pen, where I will be able to harvest and feed the ducks right there. And I won't forget to water, because I am often near the Day Pen, which has a source of water (and fertilizer [​IMG]).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by