Backyard Chicken Novice

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loveski, May 4, 2017.

1. loveski

loveski New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Hello! We were surprised with chicks on Easter morning, from my "wonderful" parents, who thought our life wasn't interesting enough with 3 young boys and 2 dogs! So, now we are the proud owners of 6 mystery chickens from Tractor Supply that my Dad cant remember what bin he took them out of!! Oh well, my husband built a coop and we do have 3 acres and our development isnt anti-chicken, so we are now embracing the chicken lifestyle! I need helping determining the gender and breed of these chickens. The one very large one is I believe, a rooster (he sounds different), and some type of ranger. The others, I think are red star, buff star, or something of the sort. They are about 4/5 weeks old. Please offer your wisdom. There are 2 pics of each chicken, but 14 pics, since we got confused at one point. They look alot alike!!! Thanks in advance.

chick #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chick # 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chick #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chick # 4A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chick # 4, the monster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chick # 5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chick #6
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Chick #1, #2, #3, #4A, #5, and #6 (so all of them except for the monster) look like Red sex-link pullets (aka golden sex-links, Red Stars, ISA browns). The monster is to young to say for sure (the others are hybrids bred to be sexed at hatch) I think it maybe a Production Red of some sort or possibly a Ranger Red.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by