Backyard-chicken stories are the latest bogus trend, media critic says

Its not a fad, people have raised BYC long before the economy took a down turn. The media is just hyping it up so people will beleive it is the trend of the future because of the economic hardship and as soon as the economy gets better it will end. I don't think so. It is actually probably more expensive to own BYC, with the cost of feed and housing.

In some cases yes it is a trend or something thats hot.

I have been raising chickens for 8 years and in those 8 years i have seen it come and go.
People will buy chickens and quickly become tired of all the commitment it takes to care for them.
I have had people want to return chickens they have bought from me saying how loud and dirty they were.
Some see them cute as chicks and purchase them only to dislike the chicken they become.
One lady reported to me hers just laid too many eggs and she was tired of having them piled on her kitchen counter.
Still another said the rooster was to loud and crowed way to often it was annoying.

So yes for some it can be just a fad.

Hey cool!!!!!!!
I, as an older person, am actually "in-fadshion" for a change. Stop the clocks, grab the calendar, call all my children..........
lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

No, it isn't a fad, and yes it costs more than buying from a store. Will those people who have started BYC flocks fairly recently continue with them? Probably, if they have made it past the initial sticker shock of coop and run and first 3 months feed bill.

Back
Top Bottom