Backyard chickens are awesome!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cluckcluck42, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Link to outside discussion removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  2. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    hmmm

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm so sorry about your Oprah and the three-month-olds. [​IMG] It's always so disappointing and sad losing birds like that. That was extremely inconsiderate of the people to just let their dogs go, both to the dogs and to you and your birds. [​IMG] Oprah looks like she was such a pretty girl... Keep her close in your memories. Poor Buffy's feathers look awful, too--I'm glad she's not hurt, though, and hopefully she'll molt soon so she doesn't look so pitiful.

4. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Whoever let those dogs loose is the scum of the earth. I will never understand why people do such things.

When I read about people losing their favourite birds on here, I always get really teared up. I used to think "Wow, how would I feel if I lost Oprah or Buffy?"

For everyone who has lost one of their favourites - [​IMG]

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    sorry, honey. what a terrible loss. i know you must be very upset.

we have some strays around here too. i found one eating one of my good ol' gals, Pebbles.

your little pal, Buffy, might be in shock but just keep comforting her. she'll grow her feathers back soon enough.

6. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I haven't even SEEN the stray dogs. I go out frequently to check on the birds, especially since losing Oprah and the others. I have no idea WHEN they are coming by but obviously they are. Neighbours see them running around so they just have a large territory to cover and I guess they keep coming back to my house to eat my birds.

Today my two rumpless Araucanas are gone. No sign of them, nothing, just gone.

I dont even know how or when they are taking them. My run is dog proof and there seems to be noway for them to get in. I have to assume they are eating the birds in the early morning or at dusk. I just have no idea. There are a few birds that can get out of the run (we're trying to figure out how) and one by one they are getting picked off.

What the hell can I do? I am so upset. My breeding program is slowly but surely going to be eaten by these god darn dogs. I have some valuable birds I cannot risk losing.

Do I keep them in the coop full time besides when I am out to watch them? I was thinking of putting all my hens in the big coop (the most secure) and the boys in the one outside.

What would you do? I am at my wits end. I am at the point that I would shoot these dogs if I had the opportunity. They are breaking my heart and murdering my babies. [​IMG]

Started with chickens in December, this is our first predator problem. It sucks. It really, really sucks.

7. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Do you have animal control where you are?

Call them.

8. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Yes but we are way, way out in the booneys and they wont come look for the dogs. We basically have to catch them or shoot them. If I catch them Ican call the game warden(acts as animal control in this small town) and have them come get them. I havent even SEEN the dogs. Two windows look out on the yard and coop and I am literally checking them every 15 minutes looking for these dogs.

[​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    First, sprinkles some sort of powder thickly around the coop and run. This will show pawprints, so you can verify if it is dogs or something else. Also will show if there is any area in particular they are focusing on.

You definitely need to figure out how your birds are getting out and close that exit. I assume the pen/run is roofed at least with wire? Check all along the bottom of hte run for any places whewr the wire does not extend all the way to the ground (preferably it gies underground as well so that predators cannot dig into the pen. Nex loo at any and every place where the wire is joined together rather than a continual weave, and make sure there are no openings. Next look at the roof and where it meets the wire walls, looking for openings there.

Consider adding electric to the fencing. Keep your birds locked up until there is no evidence of the dogs being around for a number of weeks. If they keep getting meals, they will continue to hang around. If there is no food, they will look elsewhere.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Motion detectors that trigger an alarm in hour house rather than (or in addition to) lights at the coop. Set large live animal traps--maybe the game warden has ones available on loan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by