Backyard Chickens in Orange County, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OCeggs23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. OCeggs23

OCeggs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2017
    Orange County, CA
    Hi! [​IMG]

I am a longtime lurker and brand new chicken owner as of 3 days ago! [​IMG]

I am in Orange County, CA with a hubs and 2 kiddos. After months of research, I finally got the family blessing to order some chicks. I was going to order online via Cackle Hatchery (city/small town special) but found a local store that sells chicks and had the breeds we wanted (well, two anyway, picking up the other two in a couple days).

Unfortunately one of our 1st chicks - a GLW - died a few hours after we brought her home. The remaining chick - a Welsummer - cheeped ALL NIGHT because she was lonely. It was awful. So first thing the next morning we went back to the store and got a replacement chick (another Welsummer, since there were no Wynadottes left) as well as one other, a Plymouth White.

We are supposed to pick up 2 EEs on Friday but this morning the Plymouth White - after two days of being perfectly fine - died this morning. [​IMG] Both the chicks that died had pasty butt. I thought I caught it in time and cleaned them up, but the Welsummers haven't had it and seem fine.

So now we are picking up THREE Easter Eggers on Friday to make up for the loss. I am hoping their batch of EEs is good because with 2 chicks passing, I don't know if I can take it if a third goes!

We are still in the process of building the coop behind the garage but because of all our unusual rain, progress is slow going. Chicks are so sweet. We are using the MHP method instead of the light and they are so cute sleeping in their little cave. My husband has been very involved too and seems to really like the chicks - which kind of surprises me. LOL The kids, of course, are in heaven

Anyway, very excited to be growing a flock and finally joining BYC!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pasty butt can kill chicks fast. Put "pasty butt," in the searchbox, to learn how to prevent/treat it.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear of your losses. Good advice from DDiva. This link should help, generally - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

4. OCeggs23

Feb 8, 2017
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks Diva! I did begin researching remedies and preventative measures for pasty butt after the wynadotte chick passed. We put a small amount of organic apple cider vinegar in the water (we also have electrolyte supplements on hand) and try to make sure tbe chicks were getting plwnty to drink. Everything seemed to be going so well - when the 2nd chick died this morning we were floored. :(
    Thankfully the other two are doing great and we're crossing our fingers that is the end of our losses.

5. OCeggs23

Feb 8, 2017
    Orange County, CA
    Also, HOW fast can pasty butt kill a chick? Because we have been checking on the chicks every couple hours (if not even sooner) and as soon as I saw poop stuck to their backsides, I used a warm, damp paper towel to soften the poop and take it off. It isnt like they were plugged up for hours. ??
    Ugh. So worrisome!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under OCeggs23 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry I have not experienced pasty butt in my hatches [touch wood] but I do wish you and your little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

10. OCeggs23

Feb 8, 2017
    Orange County, CA
    Hi all - thank you for the warm welcome!! Loving our sweet little Welsummer twins and looking forward to picking up Easter Eggers triplets tomorrow. And hoping for healthy girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by