1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Backyard chickens living in harmony with pointers/retreiver dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by aussiechicky, Mar 22, 2013.

1. aussiechicky

aussiechicky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Hi there,

I am wandering if anyone knows or thinks it is possble to get a pointer / retreiver dog, like a Hungarian Vizsla and have it live in harmony with your free range backyard chickens?

Of course i know I am going to have to train her well, but i would also like to train her for hunting / gundog. Do you think this is possible or would it be too confusing... being part of the pack at home but then asked to hunt out other birds or are they smart enough to tell the difference between chickens and hunting birds?

If anyone has any advice, ideas, or proof i would love to hear from you :D

Thanks so much in advance

2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Yes, It is possible. When the dog is young just keep it away, until it is exposed to birds, been shot over and showing a lot of drive and ambition in the field. Then teach it the command 'leave it' on other things (anything around the house you don't want it touching) , then transfer that to the chickens.
    If the dog is fully trained on birds, this is all easier, as a pointing breed, they shouldn't try to touch a bird unless told to retrieve it.
    Do be careful as a pup not to correct it for paying attention to them, V;s can be very soft, or not have as much prey drive as some of the other versatile breeds, and you don't want to turn pup off of birds, just keep them away.
    I have four german shorthairs, they don't mess with chickens or ducks (and I duck hunt with them). They also don't touch my house/barn cats, no the same result if they run into a feral in the field, so they do know the difference. Basic obedience is the key.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by