Backyard Chickens negate Homeowners Insurance????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CelesteG, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CelesteG

CelesteG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    Alamance County, NC
    Can someone who is familiar with Homeowners Insurance please explain to me why chickens (considered livestock) negate your policy? Homeowners insurance covers your structures and contents - not the dirt >:/ With so many now urban homesteading, chickens are much more common in backyards than 5-10 years ago. Side note: This is Geico specifically - have not checked with others at this time.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

They can make up a reason as long as it is in the paperwork you signed.

Mine dropped me cause my car in the driveway was to close to the house. 1955 Chevy nomad. The 90 Chevy truck beside it was ok though?

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Quote: < /p> R u serious?? Thinking I need to call and see about my ckns cars n rabbits!!!

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Mine dropped me because I had a trampoline inside a closed, fenced, gated backyard. [​IMG]
    Then another dropped me because I had MOLD on the bricks. What morons! It wasn't mold, but green alge because of the almost constant shade in the back yard. So I spritzed the brick with clorox, brushed it with a broom, hit it with the water hose and no more mold. The moronic imbecile inspector came back out and then reinstated the policy. [​IMG]

On the other hand, hurricane Ike dropped a massive oak tree on the house, doing a wham-o bang-up job of crushing the crap out of the house.They paid like a champ. Then a year and a half ago, a pipe burst in the ceiling and I was greeted after work by water gushing out of the front of the house and running down the sidewalk. Again, they were very kind and paid up. [​IMG]

Love 'em or hate 'em, ya gotta have 'em.

5. rebelcowboysnb

Brothers insurance guy asked him about the smoke coming out of the chimney. Said he cant have a wood heater. Brother told him it was a wood fireplace an the insurance guy said that was fine as long as it was not a wood heater.

I tried to get farm insurance an they told me I didnt have enough acreage so they could not insure my farm.. Go figure.

I also had the same company tell me that because I was disabled I would have to bring them a doctors note telling them it was safe for me to drive before they would insure my car... A class B Ga DL(single air breaks equipped fire truck over 26,000 pounds) an a good driving record didnt cut it with them to insure my beater car. Yet again, go figure...

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Just as stupid but different the federal government is making the states strengthen the security when they issue state id's and driver's license. Indiana had a list of different papers you needed to produce for the secure ID's so on Jan2 of 2010 I brought in all the forms required but one. They listed 5 or 6 lists with several options in those lists and you needed one from each list I saw on listed that you could bring in a paper from the court system with your name and address on it that was mailed to you was acceptable, I thought if that is what they wanted a state government entity saying this is George at 111 west north street then surely my JR college tuition would be just as good as a letter from the courts, NOPE. But my HAND GUN PERMIT was okay. My thought was you want me to be able to legally carry a gun and possibly kill someone but getting an associates degree is not so good????!!!!!

7. rebelcowboysnb

I have to renew my DL next month an go threw that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by