Backyard Duck Flocks!

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
June 25, 2019 - July 5, 2019

Just post pictures of your backyard flock of ducks! Any breeds welcome, please show a picture of your flock all together and if possible separate pictures of each duck and/or duckling. Also, tell us there ages and how you got them (bought, rescued, etc.) Judging is based on which flock we like best (though all ducks are amazing!) Also, not exactly related to the contest but please post your coop setups as well or (send them to me privately?) Thank you and we are looking forward to seeing your wonderful flocks!

Just moved back in with my mom and I'm currently treating her small flock for bumblefoot, unfortunately she didnt realize that ducks could get it. She thought it was a chickens-only problem. So after they're healed up we'll post and show you the babes!
How r u treating ur mums ducks for bumble foot I've a duck that has bumble foot and I want to do surgery on him asap also how do u prevent this

How r u treating ur mums ducks for bumble foot I've a duck that has bumble foot and I want to do surgery on him asap also how do u prevent this
Can you post pics of the foot? If the severity isn't high you might be able to just do Epsom salt and iodine soaks, but sometimes you have to cut the infection out - which in my opinion is much more suited for a aviary or farm vet instead of doing so at home.

I just joined...am I too late for the online poultry show?

I have a flock of six: two five-week-old black Swedish named Quimby Picklebottom and Petunia Potts, two four-week-old fawn and white runners who I call Mischief and Mo, and two three-week-old blue Swedish (I think) who I call Riker and Troi (although my 14 year old daughter argues that she named them Splash and Puddles first)! I purchased the first four as day-olds from an online hatchery...that was all I was planning to keep, but one day I walked into the local feed store for some duck food and I came out with the two blue Swedish ducklings!

The ducks have integrated well into our human/canine flock. My two-year-old border collie mix pups, Ace and Georgia, like to keep a good watch over the ducklings and occasionally swipe some of their food when no one's looking! Georgia has absolutely no shame in rolling herself in duckling poo, and Ace has been caught several times with his nose in it too! The ducks share a bone-shaped swimming pool with the dogs, and although the 4ftx4ft Quack Shack is strictly ducks only, the dogs appear slightly jealous when they try to sneak in there for a nap out of the hot sun!
DuckPool.JPG
FullFlock.JPG
QuackShack.JPG

Not sure if this is still going due to lack of entries, but.....just in case, here are my duckies. :)

Unfortunately, I'm unable to capture a full flock shot, as they usually split up. :hmm Half is the best I could manage. :lol:
DSCN9444.JPG
GRAYZ, 2 years, from Eagle Nest Poultry
DSCN0308.JPG
Indie, 2 years, from Eagle Nest Poultry
DSCN0401.JPG
Jack, 4 months, from Eagle Nest Poultry
DSCN0410.JPG
Jill, 4 months, from Eagle Nest Poultry
DSCN0329.JPG
Aspen, 4 months, from Eagle Nest Poultry
DSCN0316.JPG
Squirt, 4 months, from Eagle Nest Poultry
DSCN0596.JPG
Spazz, 4 months, from Eagle Nest (couldn't resist sharing three pictures of my adorable special-needs boy)
DSCN0509.JPG DSCN0378.JPG DSCN0375.JPG
Jet Puff, 4 months, from Eagle Nest
DSCN0418.JPG DSCN0511.JPG
~Alex

Just moved back in with my mom and I'm currently treating her small flock for bumblefoot, unfortunately she didnt realize that ducks could get it. She thought it was a chickens-only problem. So after they're healed up we'll post and show you the babes!

HELLO!! please let me know what the steps you have used to heal the ducks' feet!! I have a heavy Pekin female, and she repeatedly has hurt her feet and ankles. She is now nursing sore feet. please hlep!
:) Wendy Jarviz

It's taking FOREVER, I didn't realize it could take so long to heal bumblefoot! My birds never had it, so this is kind of new territory to me.
I have the same problem before its a good thing my friend know what to do, Soak the lesion in warm water filled with Epsom salts to soften the exterior. This will allow you to drain the lesion with hydrogen peroxide, filling it with antibiotic ointment once the pus and debris are cleared.

Back
Top Bottom