Backyard ducks - a space question

bushmaster06

Chirping
Jan 18, 2021
Oklahoma
We are kicking around the idea of getting a few ducks that would live in our backyard, which is 36 yards by 50 yards with 5 foot tall fencing. Is that enough space for 3 or 4 ducks to forage on without tearing things up too much?

I'll probably use a large stock tank with a hose hooked up to the drain so I can have the dirty water empty into the wooded area behind our house to help minimize the mess in that area.

I've read that ducks are a lot less destructive than chickens are, I just want to minimize holes and bare spots as much as possible.

Sounds like sufficient space, but don't think they're going to go easy on the ground. They are messy, and will dig into the earth to find bugs. Also tear out all the grass.

I am going to respectfully disagree. My ducks did not rip up my grass or destroy my shrubs or herbs. Like the op they had lots of space. I did have to fence off a part of the yard for them later, but only to keep them out of our in-ground pool. They will play (make little holes) in mud soaked ground and eat newly sprouted plants. But, they do not scratch the ground like chickens. I think they are awesome!

I only have grass, some oak trees, and whatever pokes through the back fence (generally wild grapes and honeysuckle) so no ornamental plants to worry about, and no pool either. I can put their water on a wide base of pavers to help minimize extra mud around that area if it will be worthwhile. I just don't want my yard torn up like my chickens have done to my chicken yard. A little bit I can deal with easily.

I am going to respectfully disagree. My ducks did not rip up my grass or destroy my shrubs or herbs. Like the op they had lots of space. I did have to fence off a part of the yard for them later, but only to keep them out of our in-ground pool. They will play (make little holes) in mud soaked ground and eat newly sprouted plants. But, they do not scratch the ground like chickens. I think they are awesome!
Maybe the fact that I had 40ish ducks running around might have contributed to it! :lau

Back
Top Bottom