Backyard Flock To Be!

CluckCluckMomma

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2016
Hello!

We are planning and setting up to start a backyard flock in the southern MD area. I had chickens growing up, but it seems the chicken raising world has come a long way since then!!! I am thinking mobile coop for ease of cleaning and to fertilize the soil throughout the part of a large yard that will become our garden area eventually. I have small children, so am thinking Brahmas/Orpingtons since the books and websites I'm reading seem to say they are docile and tolerate handling. We are interested in eggs and finding a way for the money to cancel out in the longrun, but for now we want friendly chickens as the first priority, consistent layers as the second priority and broody as the last priority (not sure if I'll ever be ready for a roo). Any suggestions on where I can order both of these breeds and hopefully with a less than 15 chick minimum????? Thank you! Hello and TIA for any and all advice!!!!!

Hello and :welcome
We are glad you joined us!

I have just the place that you are looking for! It's called Chickens for backyards hatchery. They have these breeds and many more in what you are looking for! And they let you order a minimum of 3 baby chicks! They are true to breed, and are the best hatchery for sexing baby chicks. Plus their birds are very healthy! And they will give you your money back if one dies in the shipping process or if one turns out to be a male you did not order. I have ordered from them ever since I've had chickens, and strongly recommend them! :D

CherriesBrood~

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us. Good luck with your plans.

I have experience only with 3 Buff Orpingtons. They are lovely and docile but can go broody more often than I would like. When broody, they are far from friendly. And when those hormones are flying I would not want a small child to try to collect eggs around them or try to handle them. I have no experience with the Bramas, but do have Barred Rocks - they are friendly, easy to love and none of mine have ever gone broody.

There are a number of friendly breeds and you may want to explore some of the others before making the final decision.

IMO the greater variety of chickens you begin with, the sooner you will identify the most suitable breeds for you. Gotta be a good excuse from suffering from chicken maths from day 1!:D

All the best

Ct

I have barred rocks and rhode island reds. They are super duper sweet although I did spend a lot of time with them when they were growing up. One if though, they don't like being approached from the front (like to pick them up). They've pecked me before so I've learned the lesson. They're also excellent layers and really never go broody.

Back
Top Bottom