Backyard Garden with Backyard Chickens - keeping them out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sleepy71, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi all:

I currently have 4 hens free-ranging in the back half of my 1-acre lot. I've recently tilled up a small plot for my wife to do some vegetable gardening. I'd like to put up some fencing to keep the hens out. I realize they can probably fly over whatever fencing I do put up, but I'm wondering if they have enough room in the rest of the yard to not want to bother flying into the garden area. If a mesh fence (pig fencing, maybe?) will work, what height should I go with?

Thanks in advance!

2. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well sleepy it all depends on what type of chickens you keep. If your like me and keep the big fat egg layers a 4 ft fence works just fine. I guaranty that if its not fenced they will be in it. My dad had some flighty birds and a 6 footer worked for him. My fence has the 2x3 holes. We call it goat fence around here.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, that makes sense. I have 2 EE's, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Mutt. I used to have bantams, and they were pretty flighty.

4. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    I just put some 1 foot high chicken wire around our garden and it seems to deter them but we dont let ours free range all day. Our three chickens could easily get over it but they are pretty lazy and have a lot to keep the occupied. The grass is literally greener on their side of the fence for the time being.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by