Backyard Habitat??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 24, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I live on an acre of land, plus some extra. The extra includes woods and a pond, the one acre of land is mostly grass. I want to make a "backyard habitat" thing, sorta like those ones on the show backyard habitat. i'd like to make places for things to have homes, like mice, bunnies, birds, ducks (wild...not mine), geese, and maybe some plants for deer. we have all these wild life around plus some and i just want to do what i can to help them. any ideas on what to do?

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    create a few brush piles. stack a couple fallen logs. plant some berry producing shrubs and perenial grasses. oak trees are good wildlife supporters as well as firethorn, daylilly, holly, dogwood and anything you would plant for your garden.
    google "planting for wildlife" and narrow the results to your area.

example:

http://www.northerngardening.com/wildlife.htm

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thank you so much. i'll get right on that!

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Put out broken flower pots upside down for your toads!! partly bury some side ways or upside down for mice and bunnies!!

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    omg thank you! thats an awesome idea!!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could also plant some of the flowers that hummingbirds and butterflies like. It also helps the native pollinators, which is good for wild and domestic plants. Once you see what types of butterflies you have coming around, you could also plant some of whatever they use as a food plant, for their babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by