BackYard Harvest

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Scrambled Egg, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    There's something wonderful about carrying food in from your backyard!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    WOW! Thats a lot of tomatoes. [​IMG]

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Ok, that's just not fair!!! I planted my garden, but it has been underwater for the last month, so to speak,--we had rain almost every day for over a month. Sad to say, but I think my garden is done for.

But I have felt that feeling before. It is a great feeling!!! With that basket right there, I see diced cukes tomatoes, toss in an onion, and italian dressing. Let it soak--oooh I'm craving that now!!

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    LOL!!! Sorry about the underwater garden!!! I sure would share if you were nearer! All the cherry tomatoes are ripening but today is the first day I've had any color showing in the big tomatoes..I should have left them on the vine but I couldn't help myself and picked them..they will ripen on the table just as well. If I lived in the country I would plant EVERYTHING!!! LOL!!! It's just fun to pick and eat out of your own yard..not to mention the eggs in that basket! I got 10 from my 11 hens today, whoooo hoooo!!!

5. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I'm jealous of your mators!
    So far I am overrun with zucchini, we've eaten 2, put up 5 for the freezer & given away 6. I've picked & hulled 2 pts of peas and had a few spring onions. I am anxiously awaiting the tomatoes so I can try my hand at homemade sauce!

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Ooo, so jealous. I got my tomatoes in late and they're just blooming. I'll be lucky to have any red by Halloween! I do have sugar snap peas, lettuce, swiss chard and green beans. That's about all I got in this year other than a few jalapeno plants which are also just blossoming. I had high hopes but they just didn't pan out. I hope to have the garden fenced in by fall so I'll be ready to plant next spring. That was another thing that held me up. Your pics remind me of my grandfather's garden. He had a huge plot in his backyard. I don't have that much space or sun but I swear I can smell those tomatoes from here!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

wow looks nice and you know where they came from and whats in them [​IMG]

8. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    That is a mighty fine harvest for a backyard garden, Miss Scrambled Egg! [​IMG]

I'm still waiting on mine.. few tomatoes and some cucumbers, onions and peppers ...lots of herbs now, though

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    How great is that!!! [​IMG] All that hard work paying off.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My "spring" garden is just about done producing. We've gotten a lot of tomatoes, peas,zuchini, yellow crook neck, bell peppers, cucumbers, butter&cream corn, with pole beans next to the corn stalks. I'm hoping that we can keep the tomatoes alive until September and then by October they should start producing again. The peppers will continue to grow and produce and I'll just need to cover them in December and January so they don't freeze. I plant my fall garden the beginning of September...end of August if we've had a bunch of rain.

By October, I'll be adding EGGS! to my harvest basket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by