Backyard Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jpchicken22, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jpchicken22

jpchicken22 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Hello all! New to the clucking scene as well as a new member here. I'm in the process of preparing for a couple of Orpington's to start with and might get a couple more later on. Right now I'm finishing up the electric fencing around our two acre property for the predators and already have the coop mostly built. Still have to get the run fenced in and the coop moved in it. So it's all coming along and i'm excited we're on to another adventure! Anyway on to the question! The area I'm setting up the run and coop has a 70w HPS (High Pressure Sodium) light right on the wall smack where the run and coop will be. Will it be to much light to cause problems with the girls returning to the coop and sleeping properly at dusk? The light is an orange/yellow and it's pretty bright and travels pretty far. It runs on a dusk to dawn sensor, so it will be running all night. I looked around here and google and couldn't find anything specific to this question. Maybe bad choice of keywords? Anyway thank you all for this forum and all the help!

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    You could try putting it on a timer, a heavy duty or industrial one then you will have no problems.

3. jpchicken22

jpchicken22 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. In other words, it's not a good idea to leave it on through the night? I was thinking I would try setting the timer to come on after they retire. Guess I'm just going to have to see what happens and play with it a bit. Thanks again for the replay, lot's of info here!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    I'm not positive but I do believe the birds retire and rise along with the sun. AN artificial light shouldn't make that much difference, especially if it is dark inside the coop when they retire for the night.

5. jpchicken22

jpchicken22 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    I've heard the chicks rely on their body clocks and sun for proper sleep and activity cycles. Just wasn't sure how extra lighting at night would effect them. I wouldn't think it would bother them especially if they grow up to live with it and as you said the coop will be darker inside.

6. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I have a solar powered LED light set up on the wire of the run. I'm hoping it will do its part in keeping night time varmints away. Anyway, it's facing outward but it does put some light in the run all night. Plus city hall has a bad habit of sometimes leaving all their outside lights on lighting up my whole yard where the coop is. My girls still put themselves to bed in the upper level roost/nest house. I was afraid they'd be attracted to the lights but that hasn't been the case.

7. jpchicken22

jpchicken22 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Just in case someone else has the same question as mine. I was reading up a book and stumbled upon the answer. Having dim lighting inside the coop or an outdoor light in the run may actually be helpful. Since chickens go into practically a coma in complete darkness, having some lighting can help them defend themselves or help keep them from panicking from odd noises that would normally spook them. They should still return to their home and perch for the night normally. Thanks for the help guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by