Backyard Mix- what pricing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bnentrup, May 13, 2010.

1. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Ok, please note: This post is strictly for me to learn about pricing of my 'backyard' mix and not a question in regards to nutrition or logistics. I am receiving tons (literally) of Spent Grains from breweries, and fully drying it thus allowing it to be bagged and sold. Yes, it will not have a long shelf-life like the store bought stuff due to the nature of the beast, but that is not my strategy. NO, I am not interested in retailing this, but rather wholesaling direct to hobby farmers and backyard enthusiasts who are wanting a good price for feed.

I will likely take these bagged (40 or 50lb units) to my farmers market and try to establish some regulars this way. This is NOT A GET RICH SCHEME and I may be lucky to break $10 per hour for my labor this first year.

WHAT I AM ASKING: What price is fair for this type of bagged mix. Keep in mind that I cannot put a specific % of protein on the bag since it will change based on the beer-recipes/requirements. However, common spent grain protein usually ranges from 19-24% protein and average of about 22%.

Again, not looking for logistics of if this feed will work for chickens or not; I know that studies show a 30% diet of spent grain or less is recommended by most nutritionists.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I feed spent grain to ours, but I brew it myself. Try a small 5-10Lb size and it can be given as treats the way scratch is.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I definitely agree with the above poster's suggestion to bag it at 4 or 5 lbs each and market it as a treat. Know your target market. A product like yours isn't going to be a big hit among those looking to save a few bucks on a big bag of feed, your market is people with a backyard, pet/egg flock. Those people buy treats for their chickens. You'll make a bigger profit and bypass a lot of red tape and hassle. I'd bag it up at 5lbs and sell it for $3 per bag. You'd be making $30/50 lbs as opposed to the $9 or $10 absolute max you might get out of it bagged at a straight 50 lbs.

4. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    EGGCELENT - those are great ideas. I am also thinking about diversifying and having a package for goats/wildlife (deer and bird), etc. Again, farmer market is what I am thinking as venue. 5'lbs it is!

Glad I posted this-thanks guys!

5. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Not to be a kill-joy, but you may want to check with your local Department of Ag office. Since you are selling this as a feed product, you will more than likely need labels with a guaranteed analysis. At least that's how it works in Pennsylvania. Good Luck!!

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I think it would fall under a federal law but you are right it will have to have guaranteed analysis on the bag as in --
    Crude Protein, min.
    Crude Fat, min.
    Crude Fiber, max.
    And a list of guaranteed ingredients that where used in the making of the product.
    For poultry it will also have to have --
    Lysine, min.
    Methionine, min

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by