1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

backyard pet ( chickens to)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cluckcluck1215, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

hello I did this thread so every body can post pics tell story's tell ideas about any of your pets indoors or outdoors.

the pets I have: 2 cats 1 dog 5 fish 2 ducks 6 chickens and 12 on the way!.

here's a cople of rules:
    have fun!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

PEANUTS-Found as a baby by a student and given to me when the girl realized Peanut's teeth were/are crooked and would need to be trimmed every two weeks for the rest of her life. The sweetest pet among thousands.

3. Cluckcluck1215

oh my gosh is that a cute little red squirrel

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Yes. Peanut is a small (chipmunk size) red squirrel. My wife refers to her as being the "best" gift she has ever gotten. Just goes to show that price tags aren't everything.

5. Cluckcluck1215

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are some pics of my chickens

6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

A handful!

7. Cluckcluck1215

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the girl in the pic is my daheter

8. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    [​IMG]
    This is Leopold Steadfast Ignatius Adamoore, Lord of Upper Crunch and Captain of the Admiralty. (I had been reading a history of the Napoleonic wars, and partner person had been rereading the Sharpe's series he is fond of thus the name). He mostly goes by Captain Crunch, though I often call him Iggs. He's a love, and was adopted entirely unexpectedly on my birthday earlier this year- he very much chose us.

[​IMG]
    We also have a second cat (Mack the Knife, named by the previous owners) that came with the property and is EXCELLENT at keeping bad rodents and weasels away. He patrols around both coops regularly, and is a great hunter! I haven't seen any mice, rats, weasels, etc. except for the bits and pieces he brings me. He's super into trophies, is Mack- we regularly have to clean out his house because it's full of heads and tails and things. [​IMG] He's also very much a one-woman cat. He won't leave me alone, constantly following me about and demanding pets, but no one else seems to be allowed within five feet of him.

And then there are 30+ chickens! Here are some of my favorites:
    [​IMG]
    Rickey (seen here shaking out his feathers) is the head roo in the main coop, a particularly large white silkie. While not the brightest (even by chicken standards) he's an amazing emotional support chicken- he'll come sit in my lap and cluck at me and preen my hair if I seem down, for all he isn't particularly interested in being held the rest of the time. He's also very into protecting and sometimes even brooding babies and juveniles. He was my first chicken (as an adult, anyhow).

[​IMG]
    This is Bruce. Bruce has absolutely no sense of humor, and is bossy, bossy, bossy. Not aggressive, but very much into keeping order and peace in the flock- breaking up hen arguments, finding food for everyone, and getting everyone to bed on time. He's also an OCD tidbitter- to the point I worry about him remembering to eat sometimes. He tidbits his little head off over EVERYTHING- random rocks, a blade of grass he sees outside the coop, new bedding in the hen house, the feeder (he rediscovers and yells about the feeder about 20 times a day), details on my shoes, etc. For all that, I adore him quite a bit. He's second-in-command in the main coop. Rickey his his father, with his mother being a partridge cochin. He and Rickey have always gotten along- Bruce would roost under Rickey's wing as a juvenile, and I've never seen them argue. They make a really great pair to lead the flock.

[​IMG]
    this is Grey. Grey was a rescue, and largely hand raised. I think he's gorgeous (he was pretty even as a chick) and as it happens, he quite thinks so too! He's head roo in the bachelor coop in the garden. Grey has some pretty strong opinions- like needing to be held both in the morning, when I go to let them into their run, and again in the evening. He's taken to insisting I place him on his roost myself, and clucks at me insistently the entire time. He follows me about while I'm gardening, and sometimes accompanies me on my morning rounds, and is absolutely fascinated with the brooder full of babies we have right now- he watches them and rumble clucks, and sits next to them when we're in the feed room- it's terribly cute. He may get to have a family in the future, as silver lace is one of my favorite colors, and I love his personality so much. [​IMG]

We also have a ton of babies at the moment (17!), a number of hens who I'm terribly fond of, and one rescued pigeon who is having something of an identity crisis, as he currently lives int he main coop and largely things he's a chicken at this point.

9. Cluckcluck1215

wow you have a lot of chickens. I'm getting a dozen in June :love. I don't have any roos and I never have. Bruce love that name. and grey is very pretty.i have a silver lace hen and she is very pretty also.

10. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    I do have a lot! Somehow it's never ENOUGH chickens though...I'm beginning to think there might not be such a thing as "enough chickens"... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by