"Backyard Poultry Magazine" -- Any good?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Chicken Lady, Sep 7, 2008.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm thinking about subscribing to "Backyard Poultry Magazine." I hate getting subscriptions for things when the magazine ends up not being any good, though. If you subscribe, would you care to share reviews? This will help me to decide if it's worth my time and money to subscribe.

Also, if you have another poultry magazine you like that you'd suggest instead, let me know.

I'm looking for good things to read this winter. [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    poultry press, has shows. Pictures of winners, classifieds. loads of random pictures, Funerals. and pretty much anything else you could think of..

OH. and a Coupon for a free bag of feed.. (from purina) every month.

3. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

ITs decent and has allot of advertisments. I've heard game bird gazette is good but I have never seen one.

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I subscribe to Backyard and Love it. I also subscribe to Countryside Mag and it is awesome as well. Backyard is mostly about Poultry where my countryside is about everything and alot of self sufficient articles and recipes. You should check it out.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yeah-I've been thinking about it too.

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Poultry Press, Practical Poultry from the United Kingdom, and Game Bird Gazette if you like Gamebirds. I have suscribed to both Poultry Press and the Gazette for over 40 years. Before the internet they were one of the best ways we had to market our birds and hatching eggs.

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I enjoy "Backyard Poultry." I am a beginner in this hobby and feel I learn from every issue. I don't know if I'd recommend it for a veteran poultry person, but for me it was a great choice. Plus, the cost is really reasonable.

8. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    I enjoy it, I learn something from every issue. [​IMG]

9. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I agree with BayCityBabe - for a newbie, it's good, but a veteran may not agree. We've had chickens for just over a year, so we're still learning.

We enjoy Backyard Poultry, but our favorite magazine by far is Hobby Farms. It's only got portions that are about chickens, but lots of stuff to learn about small farms. There's also a Hobby Farms Home that comes out quarterly, and we think it's excellent.

I have to admit, though, the majority of my info about chickens has come from backyardchickens.com [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I *love* Backyard Poultry. (I have had a coupla articles published there, too, but this is not *why* I love the magazine, it is a *result* of it [​IMG]). Very informative, lots of short useful items (Q and A type, etc) as well as the longer articles, and useful ads. There is a lot there even if you are not interested in showing or breeding for show (as I am not).

I am not much of a one for Hobby Farms, fwiw - seems too impractical and alpacas-and-daydreams oriented to me [​IMG] Everyone's taste differs, tho.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by