Backyard rink... has anyone ever made one? tips?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    We (err i should say dh) is making the kids a backyard rink and he is having "issues" the ground is frozen but he cant get the water to "pool" to freeze...

he is using the unlined method

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

When I lived in Anchorage (college) we made one by shoveling the snow into a ridge around the edge of the lawn, packing it down then running the hose into the "pool". Took a couple days to do.

Imp

3. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    We made them every year when I was a kid in Michigan. Sometimes, my dad would put down a big sheet of plastic first, but usually we would just ring it with piled up snow. Like Imp said, it takes a couple days.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In Wisconsin the city of Wausau owned several empty lots. In the winter, they would build a snow berm on the edges and fill it with water. Instant skating rink. If I would have known it was going to stay so cold in Colorado Springs this year I would have tried it. Usually it gets too warm during the day.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    If the ground is not totally, and I mean TOTALLY frozen underneath your rink, the water will simply absorb and you'll have a tough time building it up. I recommend putting down a tarp and making a border out of snow. Also, know that it's likely going to ruin the grass underneath, so go into it with that piece of knowledge.

Also, make sure that you're only putting down a skim of water at a time so that it can freeze quickly. Otherwise it will just make slush and that freezes all bumpy and is a bummer to skate on.

My kids would DIE for a rink in the backyard, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the grass. There are plenty of ponds/public rinks to skate on around here anyways.

Have fun!

6. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    We built huge rinks, and still had a nice lawn. I don't remember it ever killing the grass.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Did you use a tarp? Maybe it is the tarp that does it.

I looked to see if I could find detailed instructions. All I found was a reference to spraying the ground and sides to "seal" it first. Maybe if you did a sprayed layer, waited a night, sprayed it again and THEN filled it it would work.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:That's why it took a few days to make. Took awhile to seal the ground.

I was going to add that I don't remember it hurting the lawn, but then realized I left Anchorage with 1 1/2 feet of ice on the ground.

Imp- it looked fine under the ice [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Here is a helpful link: http://www.southcoastal.com/history/rink.htm

I
    searched Google for "make backyard hockey rink" and got tons of results. There are apparently kits you can buy to help you build one and all sorts of other things.

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    he made the edges out of snow and is attempting to flood the area.... we did not use a tarp from the directions he read it was optional

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by