Backyard run with 4' fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LD Jackson, Jun 17, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    We live right in the middle of a residential neighborhood and plan to keep 15 hens, consisting of Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and Rhode Island Red birds. We plan to let them use the entire back yard as a run on the days they are let out. It measures approximately 75' x 65' and it has a 4' fence surrounding the entire area. With the size of the yard, plenty of water and feed, etc., would these size birds be apt to fly out? Given their large size, will they even be able to fly that high? Just trying to get my thoughts together before they are grown and allowed out in the yard.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    They can Yes....but because of the large size they usually won't [​IMG]

3. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:I like how you worded that. Usually won't? Knowing my luck, they will terrorize the neighbors. [​IMG]

4. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I like how you worded that. Usually won't? Knowing my luck, they will terrorize the neighbors. [​IMG]

LJ is my initials TOO ...that is to cool [​IMG]

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have en enclosed 50ft run but my orp roo and two of his fav hens fly over the fence if I don't open the gate for free ranging [​IMG]

6. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:I may have to clip their wings, but I would prefer not to do that, if I can keep from it.

7. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    You will have to play it by ear [​IMG]

8. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Mine will only attempt to get over the fence if a roo is pesting them until they can't stand it any longer, and then only the gold comets (which are much smaller and lighter) can make it out. If mine are content they will stay put.

Another thing to think about is whether a dog can get in/over?

9. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I have a 4-5 foot fence around my yard. There is only a 24" fence seperating the back from the front yard though, and they won't go over that even. My leghorn will go through the fence, but no one goes over.

10. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    What is the surrounding traffic like?? If there is traffic concerns, my thoughts would be to more protective than reactive after the loss.... maybe clipping is not such a bad idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by