BackyardAquaponics.com

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by johnnymax, Apr 24, 2009.

1. johnnymax

johnnymax Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have not posted in a while. I just said yo after getting some chicks a few months ago. I ended up with 8 hens and 3 roosters. Anyway, I just found a site called www.backyardaquaponics.com where you set up a tank with fish and then pump the water through a gravel bed and you plant plants in it and they grow like CrAzY. They are feeding whole villages fish and vegitables with it... I am rampling. What I wanted to share is what I learned about harvesting Black Soldier Fly Larva. They do it to feed fish, but I talked to a guy who feeds his chickens too. You put your organic garbage in it and the Black Soldier Flies lay eggs and the larva are about 1" long, then they climb out and fall into a bucket (in the composter they use). I am building one Sunday, I got the stuff today. Here is a link to the post there. I posted a few plans I came up with after studying the patent for the Bio Pods that use the black soldier flies to break down waste.
    http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=954
    it is a long post, my plans are at the end.
    Just had to share my find![​IMG]
    The guy I talked to said all his chickens forage and eat the larva and that is all. He said at the end of last summer he was getting a 1/2 gallon of larva a day. He had to add cow poo to have enough compost to keep up. I am thinking I have a source for chicken $hit! LOL

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting.

3. johnnymax

johnnymax Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Okay, I made the Black Soldier Fly Larva Harvester.
    I posted pictures on the forum where I learned about the Black Soldier Fly Larva. Here is the link.
    http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5394&p=184987#p184987

I set it out today with some old spoiled lettus. They say that the flies will find is and lay eggs. The egs will hatch, he larva eat and eat until they are about 1" long and 1/4" across. Then they try to climb away. They should be guided by the hose I have in the bottom and fall into the watter jug with the top cut open, where I can feed them to my chickens. I will keep you posted wether it works or not...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by