1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bacteria in egg incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hackertom, Mar 16, 2017.

1. hackertom

hackertom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Anyone who knows the bacteria type/name in egg incubators?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I sure do not know all the bacteria names that can get in them----after I clean mine with a bleach mix---it must clean most of them out because I have great hatches. Some even use peroxide.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Im really not sure what you are asking.

If you are asking what type of bacteria you would expect to find then I would estimate probably 50 to 100 hundred different types. If you touched the eggs with out washing your hands that pretty much guarantees salmonella and a whole bunch of others.

Not all bacteria is bad and as a human you are a walking Petri dish covered in bacteria. The soil around your home the chickens walked in in full of bacteria. The eggs are probably covered in it.

The bad ones are e-coli, salmonella, etc. As bacteria are classed by family types even a positive result for these may not be as bad as you think. Out of over 2500 types of salmonella less than a dozen will give you food poisoning.

So whats in the incubator that has had dirty eggs and finger prints placed in a humid warm environment that's a bacteria paradise. Probably nothing that couldn't be killed with a weak solution of bleach or another type of sanitizer. One of the saving grace is the lack of food in a incubator should keep most bacteria in a low number count but if for example a egg was to explode then the abundance of food would have them multiplying like crazy and probably releasing enough gas to make the incubator stink.

I use a aviary clean in my incubator that's bird safe and meant to kill 99.9% of everything. I try to avoid bleach as it can be aggressive to aluminum and fans that I have used inside the incubator but in a pinch I would happily use diluted bleach just being more careful where I spray it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by