1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bacterial Problem?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JanieMarie, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I'll try to make a long story short. Some critter picked off my hens to the point I have 1 hen and 1 rooster left. I miss my hens. (and eggs!) I got a Little Giant still air incubator. Temp holds very steady with 2 thermometers. 1 at 98 and 1 at 100. 1 air plug removed. This is my third batch of eggs. I've been setting in batch of 4 eggs as I only have 1 hen left. The first 2 batches each had 3 eggs showing good veining and then very healthy embryo movement day 8 or so. Then a couple days later would show bacterial ring and what appeared to be dead embryo - no movement whatsoever.[​IMG] 2nd batch I thought maybe I left the first batch gone bad in too long and maybe bacteria transferred over. I've been careful washing my hands before turning. This last batch now set on 8-25 I havent candled yet. There are no other eggs in there now - just the 4. I cant figure what happened the 1st 2 batches as they seemed so healthy. Too low temp? Too high humidity? Maybe inbreeding since both hen & rooster came from same straight run batch 2 years ago? I am such a newbie at this but I'm hoping 3rd times a charm! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    First thing that comes to mind is your temps are too low...still air incubators should be 101 to 102 nothing higher....humidity is the same for any kind of incubator...I like mine in the range of 40 to 50% the first 18 days and 60 to 70% range the last three..Some people like their humidity even lower the first 18 days, it's really just what works for you that matters....I also turn my eggs odd numbers of times per day 3...

It's always a guessing game as to why there are quitters in a hatch...try to aim for these temps and humdity ranges...Just make sure your incubator is also cleaned really well after each hatch with a bleach & soap solution and rinsed well, set it the sun to dry all day...

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I think the temp is also low fora still air. Also - did you wash and disinfect the bator between batches? The bacteria might be lingering.

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    So now I'm second guessing myself and wonder if I took them out prematurely. But seems to me there should have been some sort of movement visible - at least a heartbeat. Plus the veining just didn't look healthy - kind of turned to mush and also could see what I thought was a bacterial ring. We cracked them open in the interest of biology and embryos were quite developed complete with little feet.[​IMG]. I've upped the temp. What do you think of wiping the surface with bleach solution when I turn them tonite? Could the bacterial ring have been mistaken for a vein? Also should a person wash eggs before putting them in the incubator? Thanks!

5. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    could I see some pics of this? I am worried!

6. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I'm new to incubating but I never throw eggs out at the 7-8 day candeling unless they're clear. I do pitch at the 14 day if they are alot less developed or show signs of quitting, its a lot easier to see at the 14 day candleing. Just the way we've done it so far.

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I never wash eggs before putting them in. I do flake off the big stuff. I've had many a 'poo' covered egg hatch to! Its not the cleanest environment under a broody hen.

8. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    Quote:I think I might be over thinking things?

all eggs I have checked seem fine!

But a pic of a bad eggs would be handy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by