Bactrim antibiotics dosage help

MysticCreekFarm

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 2, 2015
Upstate NY
I have been treating a hen for a respiratory infection. First I was crushing a little less than half a 800mg pill , mixing with oil and dropping it into her mouth. She was doing great so I stopped giving it to her. Now it has come back with a vengeance. I realized I can give her small pieces of the pill without crushing them so I did. But now I think I might be overdosing her. She has diarrhea. Does anyone have experience with bactrim and dosage for a chicken?

I just took my hen Saphire to the vet for a tiny lash egg adhered to her oviduct, which cause a small prolapse, they finally got it off, prolapse good, put her on 1/4 800mg Bactrim twice a day for 14 days, she is in a dog crate in my house. I cut the 1/4 pill in threes and put each in a craisan, no problems with her eating it.

I believe some people give 1/4 of an 800mg tablet twice daily for 5 days. Crush it into a tiny bit of food or yogurt and give it orally. What are the symptoms, and is there a bad odor?

She has no symptoms other than some panting and sneezing. She was terrible yesterday, sneezing and wheezing like crazy. Gasping for air when I messed with her. Much better today with antibiotics in her, but now she has diarrhea. I am treating her with bactrim and have acv, colloidal silver and oregano in her water. She has been this way for about 10 days now, good and bad days.

Back
Top Bottom