Bad Bad Chicks>>>>bad

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
I had my Cochin hen that hatched 4 chicks in a pen inside the Cochin Run. Last year my Partridge Cochin raised 11 Chicks in this same enclosure with no problems. When we built this run we poured concrete and put 2 2 x 6 boards on top of each other around the bottom, so there is 12" of wood and the larger chicken wire on top. The front and side inside the run are chain link with smaller chicken wire over that.

This morning I turned my 2 female Jack Russells out about 30 minutes before I went outside, Lucy my older one is good around the chickens as long as she is supervised. I go out and movement catches my eye.

The Stinking little Columbian Wyandotte and Barred Rock chicks are outside the run! I guess Lucy & Erin never saw them or they would have been snacks. I caught them, put them back in, fed horses and there they are again! Running around outside, these chicks are only a week old! I finally saw what they were doing, mama was laying down next to the wire, they jumped on her back, on top of the board and through the fence! I moved them to a bantam pen for their safety. I wish I had my camera and taken pics of those little brats, they knew exactly what they were doing.

I am certain the Barred Rock was the one who thought it up......
lau.gif

Quote:
I would watch them, last year the other hen had no smart chicks or they were too smart, they did not figure it out.

HAHA! I had NO idea there was such a thing as "bad chicks"!
tongue.png

DBF and I laugh about the fact that we always here people saying "bad dog", but we never hear anyone say "bad chickens"! And my girls are such good girls (at least that is what I tell them).

Those barred Rocks are to blame, I'm certain. My 11 week old BR pullet, Barbara, is always checking out the top of the fence, gauging distance. Her own mama, Fern, is the only one I've had who would regularly fly out of the pen. Like mother, like daughter. When they were let out for a few minutes to free range and eat the grass outside their pen, while every other youngster was eating, Barbara was walking around the main coop, looking at all the doors and windows.

Quote:
I know it was the BR, my little Barred Roos from my Project pen, they are in a little run inside the large Cochin run too, little boogers I came out the other day and found all of the Barred Brats sitting on the panels I used to block off their area, they all looked at me like "What? We are just sitting here" The Orps in the same area didn't try it, just those rotten barred kids.

Back
Top Bottom